Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Suppositories for 18+ year old - advice appreciated!

(6 Posts)
suzimum Wed 20-Jul-11 20:35:30

Hi, I have always appreciated advice from other Mums here. DS is almost 19 months and has gone 3 days now without a poo. Previous to that was 2 days but before then he was almost every day.

After reading up on the subject I suspect he is having too much dairy and plan to rectify that, but in the short term I would like to know if I can get a suppository over the counter to give him tomorrow morning (assumimg no poo by then!) since we are going away to relatives tomorrow and would like to avoid the queue at the doctors if possible. I have read about glycerine suppositories and also Dulcolax ones and would like to know which is best - or, if I should just face the fact I'll be waiting with everyone else at the doctors!

He is showing no signs of discomfort but I am obviously worried.

Thanks!

suzimum Wed 20-Jul-11 20:37:43

Just had a good laugh re-reading the thread with the omission of "month" in the title...

orienteerer Wed 20-Jul-11 20:39:05

"month" grin.

BarkingHarriet Wed 20-Jul-11 21:10:44

Don't know whether it's officially advised or not but a large drink of pure orange used to do the trick with my DD's at that age, rather than suppositories.

sneezecakesmum Wed 20-Jul-11 21:30:00

Pretty sure you wont get dulcolax over the counter for DS. You can buy lactulose syrup which is a pretty good idea and easier than suppositories. At 18 months you will have a bit of a struggle on your hands so I would go down the 'top end' route first, especially as he is not distressed.

To give glycerine supps though - moisten them with water and insert into the anus til they disapear, then hold the cheeks together to stop them slithering out again! On the back is easier, with the legs up (like the nappy change position) so you can see clearly where they are going.

Speak to the pharmacist regarding which is best to start with, I would save the supp route until you have tried other stuff, diet and fluids, or unless he is really distressed and doing tiny rabbit droppings, and needing to be cleared out.

suzimum Wed 20-Jul-11 22:00:08

thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: