Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheat intolerance?

(3 Posts)
octopusinabox Wed 20-Jul-11 12:33:56

I posted a while ago about my daughter who I suspected might have a dairy intolerance. She was getting a horribly sore bum (red and bleeding) and very soft stools.

She was tested in the hospital (haven't had the results yet despite it being over a month ago) but I don't think it is that now as I've carried on with the milk on the doctors orders and it cleared up.

The one thing I cut out (just to see) was wheat cereals and it got better. The last 2 days she's had weetabix and now has a horribly sore bum again. It has to be that doesn't it?

Does that make it a wheat intolerance? I'm going to go back to the docs but wanted to find out as much as I can. The internet has loads of info but none seems relevant and I don't know how to seperate the sensible advice from the quackery. Anyone know any reliable sites or have any information on this please? (ie do they grow out of it etc).

Thanks smile

nightcat Wed 20-Jul-11 21:30:22

this is my pet topic smile
No tests for intolerance as such, it's usually done by diet trial, I looked at it this way: why put someone (my ds) through pain and agony of eating wheat (risking all sorts of possible problems) if the trial shows they react adversely.
My ds was older and only after a neurology appointment it all became very obvious (and after years of not knowing and worrying sick about him), search for gluten sensitivity, coz it's gluten in wheat (and some other grains, but not rice) which is the cause of the problems, basically many humans cant digest it, but they react to the protein as a foreing body (and it can affect immunity too).
Best website I have found is celiac.com, although celiac is the most severe end of gluten reactions, it does include a lot of info on intolerances and there is a forum for all age groups and other common situations (eg other conditions/symptoms/test etc).

There is also the gluten file, very useful collection of publications.

With intolerances, it's usually you are OK if you avoid the substance, but if you continue eating it despite the problems, the damage can build up. We went gf and I wouldn't risk my ds health by testing if he would still react now as his problems included neuro symptoms, so wouldn't wish that on him.
However, I know that some people can put up with low level intolerances even if they know that they risk health problems - in the same way as some people smoke even though they know it's not healthy.

There are also books on the subject, the best one and most comprehensive I have come across is Dangerous Grains by Braly/Hoggan.

nightcat Wed 20-Jul-11 21:33:59

Meant to say that in my ds case it was gluten damage to the gut that led to dairy intolerance. By going gf, you give the gut chance to recover and then dairy is no longer a problem, so most celiacs can have dairy as long as their gut is not irreversibly gdamage and/or they have given the gut a chance to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now