Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone have any experience of their child having a polyp in their ear?

(13 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 21:20:14

I know I could google but MN is less scary. My son is 6, has just been diagnosed and has compromised hearing already.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 09:37:04

bump

lucykate Wed 20-Jul-11 09:41:01

don't have experience of a child with a polyp, but dh has had one. had it removed in hospital, small operation as a day patient, under ga. he hasn't had any problems with it since. prior to having it out, he was getting repeated ear infections and dizzy spells.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 09:43:41

Does it always have to be removed or does it disappear on its own? DS2 has had a perforated eardrum, was deaf when born and now is at the lower end of normal for hearing. One more thing is just too cruel sad.

lucykate Wed 20-Jul-11 09:49:11

dh had tried ear drops, but for him it didn't really help, it subsided, went away for a bit but then grew back. it was growing from inside his ear, through the eardrum, he was about 22 when he had the op. i don't think it was affecting his hearing, but if left, it would have due to the damage it was doing to his eardrum.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 09:51:44

He is seeing the GP tomorrow as a follow up after his trip to A & E last Wednesday. Is it possible it could have gone between then and now? He has had antibiotics. What do I do if the GP says it isn't there?

lucykate Wed 20-Jul-11 18:00:32

i don't know, but bumping in case there are others with more experiences of polyps. good luck tomorrow at the gp.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 19:00:57

Thank you.

hpsaucy Wed 20-Jul-11 19:04:48

I had polyps in my ear and up my nose as a child, which were removed at the same time my perforated eardrum grafted!! I was in hospital a few days. Unfortunately the graft didn't take and I had to have it re done but I never had polyps again.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 19:06:56

This is not making me happy sad.

My poor baby.

hpsaucy Wed 20-Jul-11 19:13:23

I would advise getting anything done while he is younger, mine was put off for quiet a while, which I feel caused me more problems, i had my last operation on my ear at 19, but unfortunately my problems have come back again 15 years later!!!

TheOriginalFAB Wed 20-Jul-11 19:17:17

He is only 6 and after all his other hearing problems we will go private if it isn't done quickly.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 21-Jul-11 14:19:40

GP couldn't see the polyp confused. Have to go back in a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now