Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Good plain food for getting over a bug

(16 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 07:09:02

DD can't shake off her sick bug. I've been giving her breadsticks, toast, rusks and oat cakes.

What about rice?

Any other foods I can/should be giving her?

vigglewiggle Tue 19-Jul-11 07:17:11

I always find rice pudding goes down well. It ticks a lot of nutrition boxes and by that stage you are just happy if they will eat something.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 07:21:04

Rice pudding is a big no no I'm afraid. It's the milk that seems to be disagreeing with her at the moment. It was fine last time she had this bug (only 2 weeks ago) but this time round it hasn't been my friend!

Rooble Tue 19-Jul-11 07:26:33

I would give her plain boiled rice, porridge made with just water with a little sugar/honey/jam on top. Some grated apple should be fairly gentle. Toast with a mashed banana on top.... Poor little thing

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 07:29:21

Oh good. Banana should be ok should it?

I've been nervous about fruit since I tried her with some puree yesterday and then the milk curdled it (about an hour and a half later)

mousymouse Tue 19-Jul-11 07:30:10

whatever she will eat, really, but keep milk products except formula or breatmilk to a minimum.
you can try giving her a couple of spoons of live yoghurt to help her gut.

HappyDoll Tue 19-Jul-11 07:31:18

My mum used to do scrambled egg, no milk though, and really well cooked eggs. Eggs always did a good job of bunging me up (sorry)

DilysPrice Tue 19-Jul-11 07:38:33

The WHO recommends Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast (the BRAT diet). I also give plain boiled white pasta with a tiny drizzle of olive oil.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 07:39:55

I'd wondered about eggs too. thanks, will try that.

Had been a bit afraid of yoghurt but hadn't considered live yoghurt.

Tbh I'm a bit afraid of trying anything! It's bad enough for her being sick but it gets quite boring clearing it up all the time!

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 07:40:50

Thanks Dilys

And thanks everyone else smile

juneau Tue 19-Jul-11 07:46:04

It's the lactose in milk that disagrees with her. When my DS has a tummy bug I put him on 'Lacto Free' (which is just ordinary milk, but with the lactose removed), for about six weeks afterwards as ordinary milk just starts the vomiting again. It's more expensive, but for a short period of time I think it's worth it to get them healthy again.

Rooble Tue 19-Jul-11 07:50:36

I think in moderation it's fine. But would agree with mousymousy that whatever she fancies as long as no milk - quite often your body fancies what it needs. We used to always have boiled eggs and soldiers when recovering

Chandon Tue 19-Jul-11 07:57:47

I always make chicken soup with noodles.

Or just some of the stock to start with, then a few hours later stock with a few bits of chicken and noodle.

it's very light (no fat, no dairy, nothing rich) and restorative

Only give her food if she feels like it though! she may just need to eat nothing until her tummy settles again.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 19-Jul-11 08:12:38

Thanks again.

It's hard to tell what she fancies because she can't tell me! I think I'll go for a banana snack and some rice for lunch then scrambled egg supper.

Will look out for lactose free milk.

AlaskaHQ Tue 19-Jul-11 17:41:52

When we lived in the States (DS 3, DD 1) our doctors' office used to recommend the "BRAT" diet for recovering from tummy bugs
B - Banana
R - Rice
A - Apple (apple chunks, or apple puree or dilute apple juice)
T - Toast
Seemed to do the trick fairly well in our case - and similar advice I see to several other posters above.

AlaskaHQ Tue 19-Jul-11 17:43:15

Hope they feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now