Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD (10) has a funny looking mole on her scalp...

(10 Posts)
Carrotsandcelery Mon 18-Jul-11 22:46:57

It has an inner circle in one shade of brown and an outer circle in another shade of brown.

Should we be worried?

AutumnWitch Tue 19-Jul-11 21:34:55

Probably not, but get a GP to look at it and check, if only for everyone's peace of mind.
I have a couple of "weird" moles that I keep a close eye on. DH has some on his back that I monitor. Any changes usually get a second opinion.

Carrotsandcelery Tue 19-Jul-11 21:37:45

I have made an appointment for her to see the gp. Thanks AutumnWitch

timetosmile Tue 19-Jul-11 21:44:21

Look up 'halo naevus' on a reputable site - try nhs choices, or a dermatology site with pictures..that's my best guess from your description, and it's not anything to worry about..but let your GP see it..don't take advice on skin things from people who've only read a description of it!

Carrotsandcelery Tue 19-Jul-11 21:48:56

It doesn't look like any of the pictures that popped up when I googled it time. I hope that is a good thing.

Milliways Tue 19-Jul-11 22:08:30

My DS has a 2 tone Mole on his back. The GP checked it and told him new moles up to age 21 are nearly always fine, and to check those that appear after that age. Also, if hairs grow through them that is a good sign (he got a magnifying glass to check on hairs on this one) so as long as not a bald spot on scalp - again looking good.

Hope your appt goes well smile

Carrotsandcelery Tue 19-Jul-11 22:10:34

Thanks Milliways that is comforting.

Dh has had a couple of moles removed and my dad has had skin cancer so I am pretty scared right now.

I am not prepared to take the gamble so she will have to go and be poked at grin

Milliways Tue 19-Jul-11 22:36:26

I work in a surgery and the GPs don't mind - it is often a quick consultation so they can catch up grin

I think taking DS along (he is 15) has shown he is to take these things seriously and keep an eye out without getting paranoid. As his big one is on his back it will be documented on his records for future reference (he is a freckly ginger!)

Much better to get reassurance than to just wonder & worry.

Carrotsandcelery Tue 19-Jul-11 23:00:07

Thanks again Milli.

Our gp has laughed and said the same once when ds was a baby and I had gone in a panic with a viral rash (fearing something worse).

I was apologising furiously for wasting his time and he said that they would always rather see a virtually healthy baby than a really poorly baby and that it never wastes his time, it just lets him catch up a bit on his appointment times.

Carrotsandcelery Fri 22-Jul-11 11:14:10

My dh took dd to the doc this morning and it seems we have nothing to worry about.

The doc did offer to remove it but dd wasn't keen.

He took photos for their records and measured it for their records so it can be monitored incase we are worried again.

We have taken some pics ourselves up against a ruler so we also have a record at home.

He said it was perfectly healthy though and that the fact it had hair growing through it was a good sign.

Thanks for all your comforting and advice everyone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now