Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

undescended testicle - not found on scan

(8 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Mon 18-Jul-11 10:46:04

Hi there

I posted about my son's undescended testicle previously and know that he will probably have to have a small operation once he's over a year. He had a scan a couple of weeks ago and they were unable to find the testicle so are now suggesting he have an MRI scan. To do this he would need a general anaesthetic (will also need one for the op) but I am really reluctant to let him go under GA so young (he is almost 7 months) so wondered what other people's experience of this might be?

I am thinking I could just leave it as these things aren't usually checked until 8 months anyway, and request another scan a bit later. They have sent me a letter for an appointment with the paediatric surgeon already.

DuelingFanjo Mon 18-Jul-11 10:53:45

Also, will I have to fast him? I am breastfeeding and he still feeds every 3 hours or so, plus we've started solids.

DuelingFanjo Mon 18-Jul-11 15:27:43

hopeful bump. Has anyone ese had this kid of thing, where they couldn't find the testicle?

griffalo2 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:36:51

Hi I dont have experience but read your thread and didnt want to ignore.
If I was in your situation I would go ahead and have mri,they wouldnt give/offer a ha if there was a great risk,i also think it would be easier whilst hes still young.
My ds is due for hydrocele (fluid on testicles)op in september and we have just received letter with instructions,one part mentions the fasting and if baby is still bfeeding.appt is 7.45 and last bfeed to be given no later than 4am.so hopefully that should be same for you too.
HTH a little.good luck whatever u decide

sugarbea Tue 19-Jul-11 23:12:22

Hi my dd had her first GA at 7 weeks, she was down for 5 hours. We are now on GA number 14 and they have ranged from 15 minutes to 7 hours. Its perfectly safe but that doesn't make it any less terrifying confused The initial GA for the MRI should only be for a short space of time. He Will have to fast for 6 hours before and allowed water up to 2 hours before. Usually you get to take him down to te theatre and they will put him to sleep on your lap. He will be connected to monitors and a team of anestatists sp? (sorry blush ) will be looking after him at all times as well as the doctors doing the investigation. My dd has never had any problems through any of her GA s even with a whole in the heart. The hardest part for them is not being able to feed before hand. Distraction distraction distraction grin so sorry that your lo has to go through it but he'll be fine. smile

sugarbea Tue 19-Jul-11 23:13:34

* hole in the heart ultimately contrary to whole lol grin

DuelingFanjo Wed 20-Jul-11 00:21:15

thank you sugarbea, I hope your daughter is ok.

GibberingGinger Fri 22-Jul-11 14:49:22

My son has undecended testicles and at 14 months they are now sending him for an ultrasound.
If I were you, I would probably wait a little until your boy is older before going for the MRI and GA. I know a lot of baby's like Sugarbea's have GA, and my son also had an operation under GA at 6 months, but often these are in specalist childrens hospitals where the anaethastist is very confident in working with small children, I would be more worried about a GA if it was in a general hospital.
But on the other hand, I suppose they are going to have to find out if it's there sometime. Perhaps wait a couple of months and have another ultrasound and see if it shows up this time? It might be in a better position.
Good luck with it all DJ, and best wishes to your little one Sugarbea, I hope she is doing ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now