Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd9, history of hypermobility, hip prob last year in her right leg, now has pain below her left knee, on the shin.

(7 Posts)
piratecat Mon 18-Jul-11 10:05:38

It started suddenly after her first day back at school (after a virus) last monday. It's worse in the mornings and it's hard for her to get up and down stairs.

I am wondering if it's related to growing? Last year she had iliotibial band problems, in her right hip, inflammation for 3 months. She has slight pronation in her right leg, it turns in.

Googling has found Osgood Shlatters disease, but she has no lump, and isn't an active sporty child.

I just hope it will go away.

mumsiepie Mon 18-Jul-11 15:11:11

Shins are typical places to feel the "growing pains". My ds suffers every now and again with them. Badly enough to get investigated. He is a very tall boy for his age.

piratecat Mon 18-Jul-11 15:55:36

hi, sorry to hear about your son.

it's just the one shin tho, very weird. what do you do to help?

I am thinking ice.

mumsiepie Mon 18-Jul-11 20:38:43

Ibuprofen really helps more than anything. I think it is to do with the bone growing fast and the ligaments trying to catch up.

Have you been to the GP?

piratecat Mon 18-Jul-11 21:20:17

really, thats what the orthopedics specualist said last yr about her hip problem. she had iliotibial band inflammation, which was undiagnosed for weeks.

i do hope this goes. her hip lasted 3 months.

piratecat Tue 19-Jul-11 09:59:28

spoke to our physio from last year on the phone, possibly post viral thing. DD was ill for 2 weeks, with mesenteric adenitis, and isn't fully recovered from that.

mumsiepie Tue 19-Jul-11 20:44:27

I hope she feels better soon. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now