Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD's been vomiting for 48 hours and can't keep anything down. NHS direct say keep feeding her.

(9 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 17-Jul-11 15:32:32

Even tiny sips of water come back up.

Is it right to keep feeding her? The advice was that as long as she's eating something she'll be getting nutrition from it.

I think it's mean to give her food and drink knowing she's then going to vomit again.

Water, I understand, but food and milk as well?

(She's only 14 months)

I tend to go by this and do total stomach rest until it begins to subside, then give water and clear liquids. My understanding was always that breastmilk is fine, but you shouldn't give dairy during stomach bugs cos it can prolong the virus. I could be wrong though...

Have you tried ringing your ooh doctor, by the way?

veryworried29 Sun 17-Jul-11 15:41:02

Stop feeding her. Give her a rest for at least 6 hours - it won't harm her. Keep trying with the tiny sips of water though. The virus in her stomach is thriving on the food you are giving her.

tethersend Sun 17-Jul-11 15:43:48

Has she had wet nappies? Keep an eye on this, as no/few wet nappies over 48 hrs signifies dehydration and can be serious.

LeoTheLateBloomer Sun 17-Jul-11 16:08:54

Thanks all.

Her nappies are ok, although not brilliant. I've got a friend on her way over with some diareze (sp?) to try and sort out her salt levels and fluid intake.

I haven't tried the doctor. I wanted to see if NHS direct could help first. I'll get an appointment in the morning.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 17-Jul-11 17:34:30

The latest advice to prevent dehydration while suffering with D+V is to syringe feed water. 5ml every 5 mins. Its such a small amount that they barely have to swallow, and the 5 mins rest between each one gives the body chance to absorb it before you do it again. Its tedious but if they aren't holding anything down its worth it. Anymore than 4 hours between wet nappies at that age is cause for concern. And I understand you disagreeing with feeding her, I'd be withholding food too if it was me

sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 22:20:26

Most children with D&V lose their appetite anyway, but feeding wont do any harm - it is guided by appetite. Vomiting isnt the end of the world and they will vomit anyway whether you give milk, food or water. The trick as Imy says is very small amounts, very frequently. Those are the NICE guidelines btw.

Second the comments on wet nappies.

Seona1973 Mon 18-Jul-11 09:32:11

up to date advice is to feed them if they want it. Starchy foods are supposed to help and also keep up fluid intake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now