Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 yo's hair falling out.

(2 Posts)
attethersend Sat 16-Jul-11 21:48:18

DS2 is just 6 months and his older brother is 2 yrs 2 months. As is often the way the baby is going through a grabby phase and keeps getting great handfuls of his brother's hair and pulling it. Every time he does this he comes away with a chunk of hair and I am beginning to worry slightly that there is something wrong with DS1 that his hair comes out so easily. He does it to me too and although he certainly pulls very hard and sometimes gets a few hairs it's nothing like with his brother. Does children's hair just come out more easily than adults? Obviously I haven't tried pulling it myself to see how hard you have to tug (though if he doesn't shut up and go to sleep soon I may be tempted!).

scaredykatt Mon 18-Jul-11 20:14:14

When my DS was a similar age, his hair went very thin and started falling out. He was diagnosed with low ferritin by a blood test. Ferritin is in very simple terms the body's store of iron. He was given a three month course of iron supplements, which sorted it out. No problems since - he is now 11 - and he has really thick hair. Might be worth checking. Toddlers can be prone to this due to their very rapid growth rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now