Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

toddler still not eating properly

(7 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:48:54

It's been a while now since DD (21 months) seems to have had a decreasing appetite.
She is basically surviving at the moment on her morning and eveing milk. I have tried cutting this down but it didn't make any difference, she just doesnt want anything. I have even got to the stage of offering her 'nice' things which is is not even eating now either.
She was weighed about a week ago and she had dropped to under the 9th percentile. She is pretty average height for her age though and has not been under the 25th percentile until now. (although she never went above 50th either) She is not a big girl she is quite petite but as always been very active.
Over the past few days she seems to have been a bit more lethargic and had two naps yesterday. She seems ok in herself and still has the energy to through an almighty tantrum but I'm getting concerned now because she is even refusing a bit of chocolate/biscuit. I just tried to give her a mini doughnut but she just left it on the floor.

She has her milk when she wakes up at 6 - 6.30 ish
I put her out some wheatabix/ready break about 9
I give her lunch (maybe a bit of bread/cheese/ham yoghurt) at about 1ish
I give her tea about 5.30 ish (I cook my own food for tea like spag bol/shepherds pie etc)

I usually leave it for about half an hour for her to pick at and midwife said that was fine.

I have bought things she likes like dairly lea cheese dippers/squeezy tubes and pouches and tried to tempt her with those but she won't even eat her favourites now. sad

I don't know what to do. I thought it would pass and she would get over it but I don't want her weight dropping more.

What should I do?

bumbleymummy Sat 16-Jul-11 15:03:07

Would she drink smoothies? With a silly straw?You can hide all sorts of things in them.

Ivortheengine8 Sat 16-Jul-11 15:06:07

I could try bumble. DH bought her a funny cup with a silly straw thing so we could try and see if she does but she is off all the puree stuff too so will have to see.
What would you put in it?

nightcat Sat 16-Jul-11 18:08:36

try to limit wheat to 1 meal a day, in susceptible people wheat overload suppresses digestive enzymes, it also adversely affects absorption of nutrients

Ivortheengine8 Sat 16-Jul-11 18:12:22

Thats interesting point nightcat, she had a lot of allergies (including milk,soya,fish) up until 12 months and has had bad eczema so could she possibly be reacting to something else such as wheat.
She now eats and drink dairy no problem apart from eggs which seem to set her off and she reacts to fish.
She also still has episodes of allergic reactions which are horrid, her face swells up and her breathing is affected - we have been to A and E on regular occasions because of them.

nightcat Sat 16-Jul-11 18:17:04

ime with my ds, dairy intolerance (not true anaphylaxis-type allergy) was a result of eating wheat (just read up on gluten in this context), once we removed wheat, he had no probs with dairy, he couldn't tolerate soya as milk substitute either, but "it may contain soya" products don't bother him

Ivortheengine8 Sat 16-Jul-11 19:39:46

Ok, It can be relly hard to pinpoint can't it. Last time they said they would send her for tests again but I havent heard yet. She had the tests when she was about 5/6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now