Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS might have shingles should I see a GP?

(4 Posts)
yellowkiwi Fri 15-Jul-11 22:13:33

DS has been a bit off colour for the last two days - he has actually asked to go to bed! When I bathed him this evening I noticed a rash going from the middle to the side of his chest. He also complained of it hurting on his back.

Sounds and looks like shingles. Do I need to see a GP or is it like chickenpox and not much they can do anyway?

KurriKurri Fri 15-Jul-11 22:22:36

They give adults anti virals (not sure if it is the same for children) and they do help a bit, - you need to get them fairly quickly (IIRC within 72hrs of rash appearing - but you'll need to check that).

Shingles are very painful so I would def. take him to GP because if they can give him something it's worth it.

keep him cool, and an icepack wrapped in a cloth, or a cold flannel held against the rash can ease it a bit. He'll probably need painkillers too.

Poor wee guy - I hope he's better soon smile

KurriKurri Fri 15-Jul-11 22:24:15

Oh and if he does have shingles people can catch chicken pox from him, with contact with the blisters, - just to forewarn in case you've got any other little ones who might catch CP smile

yellowkiwi Sat 16-Jul-11 20:49:21

Thanks KurriKurri. I spoke to the doctor on the phone this morning. It's very obviously shingles now with the band going all round on one side. Doctor said he wouldn't give anti virals as children do not benefit much from them. He is not too uncomfortable and I've kept him dosed up on calpol all day.

I feel a bit sad that he has got so low - I didn't notice anything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: