Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Removing gauze that's stuck to DS's wound

(5 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 15-Jul-11 18:49:10

DS(6) fell off his scooter yesterday and cut his knee open. I didn't see it but it was seeping rather than bleeding apparently. Cue today. He won't even let us near it to have a look without screaming the place down. Would it be okay to leave it on? He hasn't been out so it's not dirty or anything.

MeriNisipPoissons Fri 15-Jul-11 18:56:43

Long soak in the bath should lift it off painlessly so you can check it.

seeker Fri 15-Jul-11 18:58:43

I'd just leave it - unless you have reason to believe it's dirty or its looking infected or anything.

1973magpie Fri 15-Jul-11 19:26:30

I'd do the long soak in a bath, and then have a look, and replace the dressing with a non-stick one if possible, or smear loads of savlon on the dressing, otherwise whenever you try to take it off it will pull the scab off, and it won't be able to heal properly with the dressing stuck to it.. Hope he feels better soon. HTH

chicaguapa Fri 15-Jul-11 20:30:29

Thanks. We did the long soak but he wouldn't let us near it to see what would happen if we just yanked it off. <Ouch!> I'll just have to wait till it comes off by itself. We cut some excess off so he's gone to bed with one half not taped down so hopefully it'll fall off in the night. <crosses fingers>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now