Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

will DD's constipation resolve itself?

(5 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Fri 15-Jul-11 13:55:31

she is 2.5 and has had problems with poo since weaning to solids. She is on movicol (usually 1/2 sachet per day) which generally does the trick. But if we are away or her diet is not her usual one, then we will end up with hard to pass poos. I do try to keep an eye on her diet (lots of water, plenty of fruit - veg is harder to get into her), but it's not perfect - and to be honest, doesn't actually make a huge amount of difference. We've seen a consultant, but have no explanation, no tips on diet, just the movicol. As I say, it's OK, but it is still an issue and I just feel really sad for her.

Will it pass in time? We've had several false dawns where things seemed to be improving, only to revert to normal.

Thanks for reading

rockinhippy Fri 15-Jul-11 14:11:27

Have you tried giving her a big glass of apple juice instead of the movicol?? - it can work well as a natural laxative

also have you looked into dairy or lactose intolerance?? - my own DD used to get constipated if drinking cows milk - she turned out to be lactose intolerant - thankfully much easier to deal with than diary allergy as she can drink Lactofree milk & eat mature or none cows milk cheese, or all normal if cooked/heated as in hot chocolate

it might be worth trying her on Lactose free to see if it helps & if not look into diary instead - good luck

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 15-Jul-11 14:18:45

Would it be worth upping the dose of movicol for a week or two, just to get her cleared out, as it were, and then starting again, go back to the low dose and concentrate on the diet? We have the same problem with DS, he has to take higher doses of movicol though as he's a total fruit and juice refusnik hmm

Interesting about the lactose though rockinhippy.

drivingmisscrazy Fri 15-Jul-11 14:45:52

rockinhippy she has (usually) apple juice in the mornings - to get the movicol in. She is also slightly lactose intolerant so drinks lactose free milk - eats cheese too - we had hoped that switching her would help, but it didn't really made any difference to her constipation. I think I'd just like someone to give me a reason!

We do try to focus on her diet - she has porridge for breakfast, snacks of oatcakes, fruit or smoothies, other meals are fairly simple - potatoes/pasta/rice + fish or chicken/ham or cheese + veg (broccoli, broad beans, french beans, corn etc - she doesn't eat much, but she does eat some); she rarely eats yogurt except in smoothies; isn't mad about bread (but loves peanut butter) - happily eats most fruit. She does occasionally have a jelly baby/jaffa cake/plain biscuit, but we try to keep this to a minimum. She drinks plenty of water as a general rule.

nightcat Fri 15-Jul-11 19:14:10

I'd say keep a food diary and cut down on wheat-based meals, as wheat overload also lleads to constipation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now