Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickeny flavoured poxy pox

(4 Posts)
Tyniclogs Thu 14-Jul-11 21:49:36

2 year old DS has a few pox like spots appeared in his groin, chest, back...not many but one or two look blistery...showed pharmacist who said it was too early to tell for definate. His 4 year old brother is in nursery so do I send him tomorrow? he doesn't have any spots but am presuming he's going to go down with it...just wondering what the protocol on this is!

Marne Thu 14-Jul-11 21:51:25

It could be 2 weeks before the next one comes down with it (it was with my 2), i would continue to send him but if he shows any signs of being under the weather then keep him home.

GiddyPickle Thu 14-Jul-11 22:11:03

The protocol is that you can send your 4 year old but you shouldn't take your 2 year old into the Nursery at drop off time or let him near the other parents and children (if you have to take him with you, you could strap them in the buggy for the drop-off time so that he doesn't come into contact with anyone who might be vulnerable to it). Keep an eye out and, if in 10 days - 2 weeks time your 4 year old develops blisters, then's the time to keep him off Nursery (and away from other people).

Whilst it is true that children are contagious 24-48 hours before spots appear, it is impossible for you to know if your 4 year old will even catch it this time and if he does when the spots might appear so you don't need to keep him away from school until he has the spots.

Tyniclogs Thu 14-Jul-11 22:35:15

Thank you for that, hadn't even thought about the pick up bit...good point. Just had to change little ones nappy and he was sweating, thankfully not woken up. Managed to get a better look and the ones round the groin definately look blistery...I shall be able to tick pox off the list along with lice and worms..great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now