Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bad 'cradle cap' on 2yo

(4 Posts)
blue2711 Thu 14-Jul-11 13:06:46

My 2yo DS still has a largish patch of cradle cap underneath his hair. His hair is silky and fine and doesn't really seem to need brushing, so it's probably my fault and I feel awful as it seems to be getting worse. It doesn't bother him but I'm keen to get rid of it. Picking at it is tempting but pretty ineffectual as he won't put up with it for long!

Any suggestions about how to remove it and make it stay away?

Thanks.

Al1son Thu 14-Jul-11 20:24:24

Put some oil (baby oil/olive oil) on it overnight then the next morning gently massage his scalp to loosen the cradle cap. You can then gently comb out the loose cradle cap and wash his hair in the morning.

Don't pick it in case you make it sore. I found that a nit comb was really effective in removing the loose flakes from the hair but you have to be careful not to scratch the scalp.

It might take a few nights to clear it all.

FloweryBoots Fri 15-Jul-11 20:52:18

Just wondering, does your DS get exzema? My sister's little boy does and has always had quite a bit of cradle cap and she was recently told that children with exzema often get worse cradle cap, and that they keep it to an older age (actually somone else I know piped up that he still gets cradle cap if his exzema flares up, and he's about 33).

Clara35 Sat 16-Jul-11 10:06:14

Hi all! My ds is 3 & still gets cradle cap. He also has eczema. I have used head & shoulders sensitive shampoo which helps but doesn't get rid of it completely. Still hoping it will clear up on ifs own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now