Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has eaten out of date ham for dinner :@(

(8 Posts)
mummytopebs Thu 14-Jul-11 12:34:47

Will she get poorly from it? And if so how soon would symptoms appear? Feel so guilty. Made her a sandwich for dinner to take to school, I glanced at the date at dinnertime when i went to make my toddler a sandwich and saw it was 2 days past its date but its to late now she will have eaten it.

wahwahwah Thu 14-Jul-11 12:37:28

If it looked alright and didn't smell odd then its probably ok. Did you open the pack then or was it already opened?

mummytopebs Thu 14-Jul-11 12:40:17

It was already open. It looks a bit dry but still smells nice. I usually check dates all the time but only bought it on Monday so didnt expect it to bed out of date.

AMumInScotland Thu 14-Jul-11 12:40:38

I expect she'll be fine, most of these dates are fairly cautious. When you bought it, did you get it back from the shops and into the fridge fairly promptly? They have to allow for people taking ages to get back with their shopping, so there's quite a lot of leeway.

seeker Thu 14-Jul-11 12:40:47

If it smelt and looked Ok she'll be fine. The best before dates are just that - best before. And there's a huge margin of error built in - partly to make you throw it away and buy more to increase the supermarket's profits.

Pancakeflipper Thu 14-Jul-11 12:41:30

It will be fine. I have done this before and we have survived. If it's gone off you can tell from the smell/taste and texture.

mummytopebs Thu 14-Jul-11 12:44:08

I really hope so we are going on holiday tomorrow. It was put in the fridge very quick from the supermarket. It is from aldi and is an italian one so hopefully has got some preserving seasoning or something on it :?

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 14-Jul-11 12:44:09

I am sure she will be alright, too, especially as you can't have opened it before Monday.

However, fresh foods like ham have "Use By" dates not "Best Before" dates and it makes sense to follow them if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now