Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone use MONTELUKAST?

(8 Posts)
WomblingUpsideDown Wed 13-Jul-11 23:04:02

DD has been prescribed montelukast. we were advised to keep a week's supply of tablets in the medicine cupboard and then if she gets the slightest cough or cold, to give her a tablet and 10 puffs of her blue inhaler straight away.
I think we have to then continue the 7 day course.
If I give her a tablet because we think she is starting a cough and starts wheezing, but 12 hours later the wheezing hasn't returned, and the cough has disappeared, do I continue with the 7 day course?

cedmonds Thu 14-Jul-11 08:37:31

Hi
Ds is on montelukast all the time. So not much help but bumping for you.

ggirl Thu 14-Jul-11 08:40:44

same as cedmonds , ds is on it daily
if i were you i would continue with it ,give it today then ring your asthma nurse for advice

WomblingUpsideDown Thu 14-Jul-11 09:18:43

It is quite useful to know that some children take it all the time, rather in dd's case. It did sound as though it wasn't a problem to take continuously - the consultant suggested we take two weeks supply with us on our two week holiday. I think we will continue to take it for a few more days. We go on holiday on Saturday and it would be a disaster to end up on iv ventolin and magnesium in a Turkish hospital.

Furball Thu 14-Jul-11 10:57:29

I take it all the time

overthemill Thu 14-Jul-11 10:59:40

yes have done quite a bit with asthmatic dd and ds. helps dd sometimes but nt always. she took it for about 6 months at longest. Paed took her off it as he said he didnt see the difference tho.
good luck

Tiggles Thu 14-Jul-11 17:59:05

both my younger boys take it continuously in conjunction with inhalers.

WomblingUpsideDown Fri 15-Jul-11 19:37:57

Thanks for the responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now