Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried mum of 2nd child with bad experience first time round.

(5 Posts)
Astonmartinis Tue 12-Jul-11 12:06:12

I just want to put this out there - not to scare the living daylights out of anyone - but just to vent really and see if anyone has similar (hope not) experience. My son lost his battle to Neuroblastoma cancer 4 years ago aged 18 months. My new daughter - 5 months - is seemingly well and happy and as we can't get her screened for NB (cancer) I feel like I'll always be worrying if she'll develop it too. It can be familial. V rare though.
Now every lump and bump on her tum or head has got me lying awake thinking and wondering if it's going to show up. I don't know if this feeling will just go away in time or get worse.

CareyHunt Tue 12-Jul-11 12:13:42

Don't have any advice, just didn't want to leave you un-answered.

I am so sorry about your son, and congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

I am not surprised that you are feeling anxious, I think that is entirely natural. I think you are doing a really good job of keeping your fears in perspective, and I genuinely don't think the feeling will get worse. I imagine there will be times/ situations which will be worrying in the future, but that you will learn to relax a little as time goes on.

Astonmartinis Tue 12-Jul-11 12:31:43

Thank you for this. I hope you're right.

poptartpoptart Tue 12-Jul-11 12:55:10

How about looking into some CBT therapy for yourself? I'm not suggesting you need therapy - please don't be offended - it's just that I have heard very good things about CBT in particular and how it can help to encourage positive thinking instead of negative worries. I have to say that I have never tried it myself (but am considering it actually) but all that I have heard and read about it seems very positive.
HTH

Astonmartinis Wed 13-Jul-11 14:36:47

Poptart, I hadn't considered this avenue but like you, have heard it can be effective. Thanks for the reply and advice both of you.
Will dwell on it..
AM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now