Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh bleeping heck.

(36 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 11:20:54

I have shingles. Had it a week before diagnosis. 6 year old had headache yesterday and didn't look great. Early to bed, disturbed by his siblings, sat with him as he was scared of the sounds confused. Brought him home without going in to school as looked very pale. Calpol at 7.30 (late for him to wake) as temp was 38. Came down to 35 after 30 minutes, back 1 or 2 degrees half an hour ago. MIL just asked me if he has chicken pox. He has already had it but you can get it more than once, His brother has had it twice at 3. DS2 had it at 14 months. Is sleeping so don't want to disturb to look. Tell me what I need to know as not functioning very well sad.

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 13:10:22

poor thing , phone you doctor for advice if your worried Fab . Hope he feels better soon .

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 13:37:51

I got him up an hour ago. Not 100% that he has slept but he says he has. He looked blue/white which scared me a bit. He has had some tomato soup and bread but only one bite of his club biscuit (treat) so he isn't 100%. Temp is okay but has a head ache so given him calpol 10 minutes ago. He says he is cold though his forehead felt warm. Have to go out in 1 hour to get my other children.

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 14:14:16

Keep an eye on his headache ( Headaches always worry me) See how he is in an hour or so after eating . If he is no better then ring your GP for advice . Get lots of drinks into him . Hopefully the calpol will perk him up a little x

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 14:15:00

I just asked him and he said his headache was a bit better.

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 14:22:59

Oh thats good smile

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 15:45:12

He nearly fell asleep on me in the car and he said his neck hurt. He is just sitting quietly at the moment. I think he has a sore throat and that is why he says his neck his hurting.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 15:48:27

just said his head hurts

temp is 38.9 but i can't give him more calpol.

help

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 15:50:53

dh says give him nurofen

i am not sure

i don't give calpol that often so no confident on double medicating

stinkyfluffycat Tue 12-Jul-11 15:51:14

I'm not remotely medically trained in any way so may be wrong and certainly don't want to panic you but I thought a stiff neck was one of the symptoms of meningitis?
Please call your doctor just in case it is serious, and also so they can put your mind at rest if it's not serious and I've just worried you!

Wheelybug Tue 12-Jul-11 15:52:21

Any reason why he can't have children's nurofen ? You can give the two at the same time (provided you stick within the recommended dose for each). Also, I don't know which calpol you're giving him but I realised when my dd1 was ill when she was 6 that you can get a 6+ calpol which is a bit stronger. Can someone get either of these for you if you haven't got htem ?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 15:55:25

Fuck I think he had 6 calpol this morning and 2+ this afternoon

his forehead hurts

on with nhe direst at the mo

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:01:46

It doesn't appear to be anything serious according to the online questionnaire and I am not panicking yet. I just hate how DH is at work and says give him this and he will be okay and I am the one trying to think on my feet about what I am going to do about feeding everyone if DS2 takes a turn for the worse and I have to take him to the doctor.

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 16:02:11

Fab yes you can give him childrens nurofen in between doses of calpol .

Leave 3 hours in-between them iykwim.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:07:12

Okay then I still have to wait as I think it was 1.30 when he had calpol.

Runoutofideas Tue 12-Jul-11 16:09:48

My daughter (6 too) had something similar to this last week. Sleepy, going from boiling hot to shivering, sore throat, stiff neck - you can give him calpol and nurofen together as they contain different drugs. Lots of fluids too. In dd's case it was a 24 hr thing and she bounced back to normal the following day. Hope your ds feels better soon.

walesblackbird Tue 12-Jul-11 16:12:43

My 5 year old daughter came out of school a week last Friday complaining of a headache. She promptly fell asleep on the sofa, was off her food (most unlike her) and lo and behold ... on Saturday morning the spots started appearing.

Am now waiting for my DS2 to start with the spots - only we're going away this weekend and away on hols towards end July. Please god if he's going to get it he gets it inbetween those two times

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:15:15

No spots as yet but DS2 does everything DS1 did and DS1 has had chicken pox twice.<sigh>

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 16:38:03

DS2 is asleep now.

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 16:44:42

brew looks like your in for a long night sad

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 17:05:21

He only slept for about 20 minutes and is now sat with me.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 18:17:17

temp now 39.4

given calpol

dh home thank goodness

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 18:20:08

shivering now

elmofan Tue 12-Jul-11 18:22:25

The shivering is from the temp . Can you strip him down to his underwear & sponge him down with tepid water ? Have you given him the Nurofen yet ?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 18:25:34

hang on will take him up and strip him off

no nurofen as temp was ok and has just had calpol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now