Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you give medised to a 10 month old???

(30 Posts)
bananacurry Mon 11-Jul-11 20:11:49

The title says it all really! Would you??

Sirzy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:12:41

Nope. No way. Not a chance!!

They changed the age to 6 for a very good reason.

saltyseadog Mon 11-Jul-11 20:13:31

Nope. How would you know you'd got the dose right?!

Jacksterbear Mon 11-Jul-11 20:13:37

Err... no.

bananacurry Mon 11-Jul-11 20:15:44

Why did they change the age???

Indith Mon 11-Jul-11 20:16:12

No. No because even though it was allowed when my 4 year old was younger they changed the rules for a reason, it is not just because people may not realise it has apracetamol in it and give calpol too, there were reasons to do with adverse reactions among younger children. And no because even if you wanted to ignore that, even if you thought "well I used to give it to my older child when he was 10 months" do you know, for a fact, absolutely, that they have not changed the ingredients or changed the concentration of the antihistamine or paracetamol? How would you know, in absense of dosages on the bottle for a 10 month old, that you were giving the correct dose?

Choufleur Mon 11-Jul-11 20:18:23

Is there a reason you want to give Medised instead of just calpol?

bananacurry Mon 11-Jul-11 20:25:38

I wouldn't. My friend does because it dries up the snot better. she gives brufen & calpol & if that fails medised (not with calpol).

I would never dream of giving it. recommendations are there for a reason. I just wondered if it was just me!

coccyx Mon 11-Jul-11 20:29:04

Yes i would and have

iMemoo Mon 11-Jul-11 20:29:58

God no way!

allthefires Mon 11-Jul-11 20:31:06

I did before the regulations changed.

Now there's no way I would.

Mutt Mon 11-Jul-11 20:31:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 11-Jul-11 20:32:59

We did because DS had bad eczema and continuous colds and it was the only thing that gave him some respite at night. We did only give it when he had a temp, not whenever he was grumpy! He'd had it before they changed the age so I suppose we knew he was OK on it. I don't know if I'd have done the same if they'd changed the age earlier. We probably wouldn't have had it in the house I suppose.

Pavlovthecat Mon 11-Jul-11 20:33:08

i would, and have done, but then I gave it to DD when it was still legal to do so, so confident of how much i would give, and gave less than that.

I found it to be a very effective drug if I knew that the coughing was stopping my children from sleeping well, and new that sleep would aid recovery.

However, if there is any chance of respiratory infection such as croup, i would say don't chance it, as I gave it to DD (when legal) and it made it worse as it has a sedative (which you all know about) which contradicts the need to stay awake and breathe.

If you are unsure, then I would suggest don't do it.

Choufleur Mon 11-Jul-11 20:34:50

Piriton helps to dry up noses if it is really that bad. I've given that and calpol to DS. He had medised when he was little and could use it but I've stopped since they changed the age limit on it.

Pavlovthecat Mon 11-Jul-11 20:35:39

recommendations are are there for a reason of course - to stop overzealous parents from using it to drug their children for a restful nights sleep. It is like many many 'rules' put in place for parents, or pregnant women, or breastfeeding mothers, or parents weaning babies. Lets presume everyone is stupid, because some people are. Maybe that is the right thing to do, work to the lowest common denominator...

Ilythia Mon 11-Jul-11 20:40:32

No, not now as they could have changed the ingredients now it is only for older children.
children's sudafed and paracetemol dries up a nose.

jinxediam Mon 11-Jul-11 20:42:10

Have you tried it on yourself? I was shocked when I took a slug of it one night- knocked me out fast and I felt really groggy the next day. Its quite handy for when I cant sleep (I always wake up if the DS's need me in the night as i'm a v.light sleeper). Very good for clearing a nose- in fact I use it myself when I have a heavy cold. It is so strong though- I only ever took a 2.5ml spoonful-if I followed the instructions on the bottle i'd be asleep for a week!! I would use the teenyiest drop if giving to a child.

bananacurry Mon 11-Jul-11 21:01:38

I might give it a go then! Then I'll sleep through his grissly nights grin

Tonksforthememories Mon 11-Jul-11 21:08:21

They haven't changed the concentration. I don't use it with my DS (21m) but i have 3 bottles, one that's from 3m+, one from 2y+, and one 6y+, and the ingredients and concentration (per 5ml spoonful) are exactly the same.

It's the same with cough syrups, they only stopped selling chesty cough syrup for under 6y olds as there was no proof they worked.

(I have a nearly 6 and a 7.7yo too, I don't just collect bottles for ne reason! grin )

Meglet Mon 11-Jul-11 21:10:24

Yes, because the GP has prescribed it for DD.

Otherwise no, not off my own back.

EllieG Mon 11-Jul-11 21:11:36

No, I did before the regulations changed, but wouldn't now. I know that's no terribly logical, but I just wouldn't. I use lots of mentholish oil drops and raise head of bed.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 11-Jul-11 21:42:35

No but have never used it and wouldnt unless prescribed. There are plenty of things to sooth children with colds other than Medised.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Mon 11-Jul-11 22:28:56

Yes on the advice of a GP

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Mon 11-Jul-11 22:30:11

Piriton and a dose of calpol is just the same as medised BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now