Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11mo DS tumble down stairs =(

(9 Posts)
circlehead Mon 11-Jul-11 18:36:39

My poor DS has just had a tumble down stairs, literally from the top into the bottom baby gate. He was climbing up, me behind, don't know what happened, tried to catch him =( He cried on impact which subdued to whimpering after a minute or two. I gave him a BF and he is just snoozing at the mo, prob sleeping off the shock! I can't see any bruising/swelling anywhere. Do you think there's anything to worry about? Also, please reassure me I'm not an awful mother and your baby DCs fall down the stairs all the time... =(

mumblebum Mon 11-Jul-11 18:46:37

Oh it's horrible isn't it. My DS fell down the stairs just a bit older than that. I was in the loo and DD had gone up and left the gate open at the bottom. I heard him falling. I didn't even know which one had fallen until I heard the cry which came after a good long pause sad. He'd bashed his head but other than an impressive bruise there was no damage done.

Just keep a close eye on him for the next 24-48 hours. If he's asleep will he stir if you disturb him a little. Watch out for him being sick. He might get a bit stiff or sore later. Not much you can do but tlc and pain relief if you think he needs it.

Take care of yourself too, I bet you're very shaken by it!

trumpton Mon 11-Jul-11 18:47:21

You are NOT an awful mother... We have all done something similar. Hope he is ok. Babies mostly bounce. grin

circlehead Mon 11-Jul-11 20:14:19

He is awake and has had his dinner, seems his usual self. Did another thorough check and definitely no brusing.

Yes I was shaking like a leaf afterwards! Even let out a melodramatic ''NOOOO!!'' from the top of the stairs as it happened blush Just couldn't believe my eyes seeing my little baby go rolling down the stairs =( Oh well, he's currently squealing at the dog, so as I say, is his usual self!

mama2moo Mon 11-Jul-11 20:16:39

My 17mo dd2 fell down the stairs a while back. She just stood up, winged once and then ran off after dd1! I think I was shaking for about an hour after that! It is very scary but if he seems fine then dont worry. I always walk behind dd now just in case smile

circlehead Mon 11-Jul-11 20:49:48

Thanks all for reassurance. DS has climbed the stairs again while I formed a human barrier around him so obviously has no mental scars either smile

ridinglilli Mon 11-Jul-11 23:35:40

You are most definately NOT an awful mother and I know that you (like I do every time dd has a nasty fall) would have been terribly shocked and blamed yourself a bit. A few months ago I thought that as dd was going upstairs really well, she ought to learn to also come downstairs safely. She missed her footing and I wasn't quick enough to catch her and she tumbled down the stairs top to bottom, fortunately being stopped by the closed safety gate at the bottom. She was fine after cuddles and chocolate buttons. Checked her for injuries, a couple of bruises and kept an eye on her for any signs of concussion or abnormal behaviour. My mum always says that if dd cries straight away for a short time then all is generally ok.
It sounds like ds is fine, especially if he is eating well and squealing at the dog!! smile Just keep a little eye out

ridinglilli Mon 11-Jul-11 23:38:05

Sorry that should be keep a little eye out for being usually irritable, vomiting, drowsy etc over next 24 - 48 hrs xxx

clarlce Sun 17-Jul-11 15:39:08

My son, at around 11 months, fell out of a shopping trolley seat and onto a hard, tile floor. There was no belt and as i was so used to not having to worry about him falling out i wasn't paying any attention. He was fine, small bump etc. But i nearly fainted! the little bastards will find any way of trying to hurt themselves and make you worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now