Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Asthma - struggling a bit at the moment with ds

(7 Posts)
mooseloose Sun 10-Jul-11 21:21:31

have done really well with ds age 9 for about two years. He takes one montelukast and two puffs if brown morning and night. This has been brilliant and he rarely needs his blue at all. But he is playing more sport now, athletics and running, and struggling with a tight chest and breathing when finished running. Not a wheeze just tight and tired. I just wondered if his meds need a tweak? The montelukast has transformed him, so I wonder if his brown preventor is not working for him so well. Any suggestions? Thank you...

OpusProSerenus Sun 10-Jul-11 21:24:57

My asthma is really bad atm and I'm wondering if it's linked with hayfever, lots of people are saying that's really bad just now.

May be worth asking the GP if it's worth trying an antihistamine just to see if it works. Keep on with the brown one though, he would be a lot worse without it.

mooseloose Sun 10-Jul-11 21:28:56

That's a good idea, the anti histamine. I have shocking hay fever at moment and don't usually get it. Have felt I'll for days and days. Ds is really good at athletics, and so if he wins a running race and gets put into the final I have to pump him with blue to get his going! I just think it a shame he is so keen on his sport and this is hindering him...

misspollysdolly Mon 11-Jul-11 20:07:59

Does he always use his Ventolin 10 minutes or so before doing sport...? This may help. As might using it during sport as soon as he feels a tightness in his chest - though I know it's a bit of a faff during a match or whatever. If this doesn't help, you could go back to your GP or asthma nurse to discuss it and they may feel that a change in preventer may help.

ClaireOB Tue 12-Jul-11 11:05:47

Probably a good idea to discuss it with GP/asthma nurse to see if meds need adjusting. Also, Asthma UK's adviceline is open 9-5 Mon-Fri and is a good source of reliable advice and support.

smudgethepuppydog Tue 12-Jul-11 20:14:28

DD is a good athlete too, she uses her inhaler 20 mins before training or competing. I also found that as puberty kicked in her inhalers needed upping so it might be time for a review?

CeliaFate Wed 13-Jul-11 19:07:05

Ds is 8 and has asthma, which is particularly bad at the moment. He was advised to have 2 puffs of the reliever inhaler before doing any exercise or sport as well as the preventer twice a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now