Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

bump to head

(8 Posts)
xdezirx Sun 10-Jul-11 20:38:19

Hi All

I'm really worried about my 4 month old daughter, just recently i'd taken her out in the car with my partner, I sat in the back with her and I'd fed her and waited till we'd stopped at a carpark and wind her, anyway I went to get her out her seat whilst in the car and I accidently bumped the top of her head on the car roof inside. It's not that hard on the cars interior roof but she did cry on impact, not for long tho. As soon as I got home i'd been looking up head injuries and bleeding in the skull and I'm petrified that she could have this, that is the subdural bleeding that occurs over a few weeks or so. It wasn't a big bump and she has no lumps or bruising and seems ok in her self, but so do people who get subdural bleeding. It's not untill a few weeks later that symptoms might occur. I'm really scared!!! has anyone else accidently bumped their babies head and has been ok? x

RuthChan Sun 10-Jul-11 20:46:02

Don't worry.
I think most people would be lying if they claimed not have bumped their babies' heads at some point.
Babies are bumped, dropped, banged etc accidentally everyday. (Not the same baby, obviously!)
Babies are hardier than you may give them credit for and they survive a lot. They bounce pretty well!

If your baby shows no symptoms, the chances are she is fine. It's certainly not worth losing sleep over. If you are really worried, take her to the hospital and let them put your mind at rest.

neolara Sun 10-Jul-11 20:46:08

I've been told my doctors that if they cry straight away then they are almost certainly fine. It's when they lose consciousness that it's considered a problem.

I've got 3 dcs and they've all bumped their heads lots. The first time my dc1 bumped her head was terrifying - HUGE bump, I panicked and called an ambulance. All very embarrassing in retrospect, particularly as when I opened the door to the ambulance men my dd stopped crying, started waving and saying "ello amblance".

By the time your dd is crawling and walking (so in about 3 - 5 months time) she will be covered in bruises and will bump her head 3 times a week. You won't give it a second thought. Honest.

RuthChan Sun 10-Jul-11 20:52:05

Yes, you wait and see what she puts herself through when she starts moving around.
The bumps and bangs she will get when headbutting the floor, falling off furniture etc will make you cringe. But after a few tears and a cuddle, she'll be right back up and doing it all again.

sneezecakesmum Sun 10-Jul-11 21:11:04

If any subdural bleeding was going to take place you would be looking at the first 24-48 hours post injury. To put your mind at rest wake DD up 2 hourly through the first night for a normal response. If she is OK tonight I would not worry any further unless she has any unusual symptoms.

xdezirx Wed 13-Jul-11 16:15:05

Thanks all for your replies. My daughter seems ok so far. The incident happened saturday just gone. I get a bit paranoid if she goes abit quiet or extra sleepy.

xxx

TheOriginalFAB Wed 13-Jul-11 19:23:19

Did you feed her while your dp was driving?

xdezirx Sun 17-Jul-11 19:39:17

Hi

No I didn't. we'd stopped at a petrol station and i'd given her some milk, then we parked at a carpark and that's when i'd got her out her carseat, not realising just how low my partner's car roof was and accidently bumped her head.
I was reading up on subdural bleeding again and the milder form can bring on symptoms as much as 2 weeks later. It's been a week now and there has been an odd few days where she has had sudden outburts of crying. I hope that isant associated with it, but then she does seem like she's teething.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now