Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds5 adentonsillectomy on Monday

(6 Posts)
cantfindamnnickname Sat 09-Jul-11 19:00:57

worried about the op - can anyone tell me what to expect

cedmonds Sat 09-Jul-11 19:44:35

Hi Ds 4 had this a year ago. It went fine he was very sleepy when he came back and was sick a lot( take lots of clothes for u and him) He was in a lot of pain as well. I was told to give maximum nurofen and calpol i gave the calpol 1/2 hr before he was offered food. I also made sure that i gave it to him though out the night even if he didn't wake up so the pain didn't get to bad. He got an infection so had to have 3 weeks antibiotics. If they seem ill and in uncontrolled pain take him to see gp just in case. Ds used to drink with a straw and had a lot of ice lollies to keep fluids up. I was also told to keep him at home for two weeks to prevent infection.
Be prepared to have lots of cuddles on the sofa and to watch lots of DVDs
Hope it goes OK

bustamove76 Sat 09-Jul-11 20:03:57

Hi, firstly I hope everything goes well on Monday I'm sure it will. (hug)
My DD had this op last year, she was almost 5 years old at the time. By far the worst part was the anaesthetic, there is no way to make it any better, just something you have to do, I think the most important thing is just to be very calm and collected until they are asleep, then you can cry all you like! It is a tough thing to do, but the doctors and nurses are fab.
After the op, DD was reluctant to eat, and they won't normally let you leave until they do, it was just a case of gentle encouragment and telling her that we couldn't go home if she wouldn't eat. Regular pain relief should be prescribed and don't be afraid to ask for something stronger if you feel he needs it.
Like the previous poster, we were advised 2 weeks off school and away from other children to prevent infection, unfortunately DD got an infection anyway. If pain seems to get worse, and throat looks white and messy, see your GP ASAP.

But I would say this. although it was a tough couple of weeks getting her back to normal, it was the very best thing for her (she had obstructive sleep apnoea) and would make the same decision again (in fact I am about to get my 3 year old tested and will go ahead with the same op for her if necessary).

Very best wishes for Monday x

cedmonds Tue 12-Jul-11 12:17:03

HOw did it go op?

cantfindamnnickname Tue 12-Jul-11 13:53:04

OK we are home now - he was very distressed when he came round and they dosed him up.
He has in the last hour started complaining about his ears hurting which is worrying me.
He has sore throat which is to be expected
thanks for asking

cedmonds Tue 12-Jul-11 18:22:30

Ds said his ears hurt for a few days if the pain is uncontrollable take him to gp or ask if they would come out because of infection risk. Keep on top of the pain killers as well. Hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now