Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 month old and EEG

(2 Posts)
emilie89 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:11:49

Hi,

My son is 4 months and on Wednesday night we took him to A and E after some unusual behaviour and he has been referred for an EEG.

He did not sleep all day on wednesday then finally settled down at about 11pm (usually goes to bed by 9). He was asleep for about 15 minutes before he started screaming (really high pitched, not his usual cry) when I went to him he still had his eyes closed but was really crying. When I picked him up the top half of his body was totally limp. He couldn't support his head, back and his arms/hands were floppy. However his legs were moving. He carried on crying without properly waking up then fell back into a deep sleep. We took him to A and E where all tests carried out were fine (temp, heart rate, bloods etc). The A and E Dr seemed to think that he was just very very tired and that because I had given him some Calpol (last resort as he is teething and I hoped it might make him sleep!) he had just fallen into a very deep sleep. She did say she would send his notes to the neurologist just incase it was some kind of seizure but she thought he was fine.

Anyway, we got a call from the neurologist to say that they want to do an EEG on him while he is awake and asleep. They will have to sedate him sad. I am really worried and upset and don't really know what to expect. Does anyone have any experience of this? I am wondering how they will sedate him, how long it will take etc.

Thanks

BrightonWalk Wed 13-Jul-11 12:09:54

hi, your son may be epileptic otherwise they wouldnt have recommend an EEG test. Your description suggest seizures as my son was almost like that. He was around 3 years when he had an EEG test. The fact your son is still a baby, you might not have problems getting him to sleep. They glue wires around the head then attach to a computer, here is a link about EEG testing

www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/diagnosis/eeg-electroencephalogram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now