Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

baby having fits

(3 Posts)
QueenofDreams Fri 08-Jul-11 10:30:40

Hi I'm posting to see if I can get any advice for a friend. Her baby is less than a year old and has had about 8 seizures over the last three months. Initially it seemed to happen after he had bumped his head, but last night he had a seizure in his high chair without any head bump preceding it. Apparently he was rigid, eyes rolling, gasping breaths and then collapsed unconscious in her arms.

She has seen the GP about this and she is waiting for an appointment with a neurologist, but hasn't heard anything yet. Has anyone got any advice/experience of this that I could pass on to her? She's really worried and I feel so desparately sorry for both of them sad

QueenofDreams Fri 08-Jul-11 10:55:56

anyone? sad

sneezecakesmum Fri 08-Jul-11 14:50:40

Next time it happens she should go to a&e for an urgent referral and to speed things up. If he is still fitting she should call an ambulance. Also her practice nurse should be able to tell her what to do in the event of a fit, recovery position, secure airway, that sort of thing. I have heard of a type of fitting caused by minor injuries. head, falls, pain etc. but the high chair episode is also worrying. Also phone the local hospital where the appointment is to be made, ask to speak to the neurologists secretary to see how the appointment is progressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now