Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my 6 year old daughter has body odour. Is this normal??

(13 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Jul-11 10:34:22

I've noticed it the past couple of weeks. She's also become very emotional, crying about silly things for no reason. At her friends birthday party she started crying because her friend said she loves ponies, my dd wailed "She loves ponies more than me". hmm
I'm a bit concerned that she might be starting peuberty very early. She's very big for her age, she's the hight of a 9 year old and weighs nearly 5 stone.
Should I take her to see the doctor, or is it nothing to worry about?

CharlieBoo Thu 07-Jul-11 11:05:35

Hi my friends dd is also 6 and very tall, already has about 6 of her adult teeth and has had since the end of reception. She also has some body odur and the dr said to use a roll on and bath her everyday which she does and is ok now. As with the emotions... My 6 year old son is the same ... I complimented his friend at the weekend and said how lovely his top was and ds screamed 'you think his top is better than mine!' and then went off having a mini paddy! The joys eh?!

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Thu 07-Jul-11 11:06:31

Could well be on the way to early puberty especially if she is big. Don't worry about her starting periods any time soon, though. My dd started to whiff a bit at 8, shave armpits at 9.6, she is now 11.4 and still no periods.
Go to the GP if you are concerned. Is she overweight? They might weigh her and recommend a healthy eating plan.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Jul-11 11:41:32

Thanks everyone. She is slightly overweight, although she eats very healthy food. She just eats a lot of it. She has a huge appertite and always complains she's hungary. She isn't hugely active, although enjoys walking with me.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Jul-11 18:44:29

I'll take her to see the doctor I think. At least that way I'll know if she is or not.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Jul-11 20:18:56

I should've mentioned that she gets very greasy hair too. I wash it every 3 days or so, but it's always in desperate need of a wash by then.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 09-Jul-11 09:51:37

The dr might be able to do a hormone test or something.

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Jul-11 19:39:29

Thanks, hopefully he'll be able to do that without a blood test.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 09-Jul-11 22:39:22

Oooh don't know if he could that without a blood test! Thought that was the only way! Is she needle phobic?

piratecat Sun 10-Jul-11 19:16:29

i know my dd is older, but she was 8 when i noticed she had underarm odour, so i got her a deo roll on. I think it varies greatly, and doesn't matter if they are bigger built or not. my dd is like a whippet, and has had aching boobs, smelly pits and gone a bit moody for the past yr.

mummyloveslucy Sun 10-Jul-11 20:08:17

She is needle phobic after she had a bad experience of a doc trying to take blood before. it was really awful to watch.

I might just see how she goes and look out for any other signs of development. I think it's probubly better to let nature take it's cause rather than giving her drugs to delay it. I've heard the they can stunt the growth in the legs and all sorts. I'll probubly mention it to the doc and see what he says but I don't want to put her through any un nessesary treatment.

piratecat Sun 10-Jul-11 20:09:47

also, it may be a bit of development that goes away. dd had 2 months of really smelly armpits, but they seem to have calmed down.

give it time. like you said.

Woofsaidtheladybird Mon 11-Jul-11 16:41:39

Drs could get a wee sample from her and send it off for a urine steroid profile which would show raised androgen levels if there was anything 'going on'. Medication to stop puberty does not, ime, stunt the growth in legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now