Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR and German Measles

(9 Posts)
cleoismycat Thu 07-Jul-11 08:36:48

Morning all.
My DD is three and a half and has had her first MMR jab at two years. She has had a bumpy rash that appeared around her neck yesterday and now appears to be everywhere. She's had a couple of nights where she hasn't settled but I put it down to the hot weather initially but it was cooler last night. She has a tiny temp today and the rash is small dots that make her skin feel a bit bumpy to the touch. A couple of people have suggested that it could be german measles, is this possible after MMR? I've booked a doc appointment anyway but wondered if anyone could provide insite?

Thanks

cleoismycat Thu 07-Jul-11 08:59:00

anyone?

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 07-Jul-11 09:16:12

Possibly I suppose. No vax is 100% effective I don't think. Could it be a virus? My DD had umpteen sandy rashes which were virus'.
The doctor should be able to put your mind at rest.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 07-Jul-11 09:16:34

Actually, of course some vax are 100% effective or we'd still have smallpox.

mamalocco Thu 07-Jul-11 09:38:28

There are numerous viruses which present the same symptoms as rubella - the only way to know exactly which one she has is to do a blood test.

GrownUpNow Thu 07-Jul-11 09:57:04

My DD is displaying similar symptoms. A rash appearing on her face, then behind her ears, down her neck, onto the torso and now everywhere. I've been told it is an allergic reaction to penicillin for a chest infection.

It's not settled yet, despite five days of antihistamines, and she's been hot and under the weather for about half this time too.

I'm thinking it's either A) the allergic reaction coupled with a viral rash due to the chest infection or B) the heat or exposure to new chemicals in washing powder and finally C) a mild dose of maybe fifths disease (due to it beginning on the cheeks) or german measles (to which it looks exactly like in comparison to pictures)

sneezecakesmum Thu 07-Jul-11 16:53:42

you dont usually get side effects of the mmr from the rubella side, though adult women can have symptoms. Never say never though!

DilysPrice Thu 07-Jul-11 17:15:59

Single dose of MMR is not totally effective, that's why we give two (not having a go, I know OPs DD isn't due her top up yet).

bumbleymummy Fri 08-Jul-11 10:32:25

The rash for both measles and rubella (German measles) start behind the ears/around the neck. Does she have swollen lymph nodes around her neck or at the base of her skull at the back of her head? (little hard lumps you can feel under the skin?) No vaccine is 100% effective and even after two doses some children are still not immune. There is no treatment for either, just rest and plenty of fluids but if you are concerned or think she is getting worse then take her to your GP. Phone ahead first though because you don't want to be sitting in a waiting room with pregnant women or immunocompromised people!

Kreecher, even the smallpox vaccine wasn't 100% effective. You were right the first time! smile From the CDC re the smallpox vaccine:

" Historically, the vaccine has been effective in preventing smallpox infection in 95% of those vaccinated."

I have seen other sources that quote a lower rate though, particularly in the earlier versions of the vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now