Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Possible broken finger xray or not?

(11 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Wed 06-Jul-11 16:43:34

Ds1 13 had s cricket ball hit his finger yesterday, still swollen and sore, he can move it but can't make it into a fist. WWYD ?

Seeline Wed 06-Jul-11 16:46:22

X ray

TheSnickeringFox Wed 06-Jul-11 16:49:08

Do you have a local minor injuries unit? If not, A&E. Def x-ray, finger injuries can heal oddly and affect fine movement (important if you play an instrument, for example).

LargeGlassofRed Wed 06-Jul-11 16:53:30

Thanks no minor injuries only a and e. Do you think it will be ok to leave till tomorrow?

fortyplus Wed 06-Jul-11 16:56:09

Should be fine to leave till tomorrow - just fold up a bit of wound dressing or gauze to separate the fingers and strap it to the one next to it beinging careful not to do it too tightly.

Marne Wed 06-Jul-11 16:57:50

Not much that can be done with a broken finger, hospital will probably not x-ray (will just treat as a broken finger and strap it up).

VivaLeBeaver Wed 06-Jul-11 17:02:30

Hospital will x-ray. My friend has broken her finger and they x-rayed and she's been back and forth to the fracture clinic for more x-rays and check ups to make sure its healing OK.

kevlarbrassiere Wed 06-Jul-11 18:57:59

If it is broken, there isn't much that can be done. The a and e will just use a 'buddy' system, basically just strapping it to the finger next to it. With an adult, I wouldn't bother going anywhere, just strap it at home, and take ibuprofen.
However, with a child, there is a possibility that a break could be on or near the finger's growth plate, and would need to be monitored. Not a big deal and certainly no harm in waiting until the next day for treatment.

LargeGlassofRed Wed 06-Jul-11 20:58:37

Thanks all, have strapped it up tonight and will see how it is tomorrow and drag ds for an xray tomorrow.

TheSnickeringFox Wed 06-Jul-11 21:08:16

Actually I had physio when I broke mine! I felt like a bloody fool but certain finger fractures do warrant it. They also made a custom splint.

The above makes it sound very dramatic grin

TheSnickeringFox Wed 06-Jul-11 21:12:45

Right, I've just realised I was partially talking rubbish above. It was fractured but the tendon had also snapped (mallet finger) and logically the physio would have been for that.

Conclusion: listen to the posters above, who aren't spouting a load of drivel, and ignore me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now