Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Possible croup in 8mth old - emergency appt?

(6 Posts)
WorrisomeHeart Wed 06-Jul-11 08:39:43

hi all

DS has had a nasty cough for about 5 days, and it's now turned barking which makes me wonder if it's croup. He's not got a temp and is feeding ok, and I've managed to get a docs appt on Friday. Is this the kind of thing that can wait or should I try to get an emergency appt?

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 09:15:12

am not a doctor, but dt2 probably has/had croup, according to the HV and an A&E doctor who heard his cough. but both said if he was feeding ok, growing ok, it wasn't something to worry about. is he distressed by it? you could always phone NHS direct if you wanted advice from someone more qualified than me grin

CharlieB74 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:19:48

From personal experience, I would say it depends on how your DS is. If he does not have a temperature, is well in himself and is not distressed or struggling to breath with the cough then you would probably be fine to wait.

Unfortunately, on most occasions they do not give you anything for croup unless the child is struggling to breathe. My DD has had it quite a few times and we have managed to treat her at home apart from one occasion when she was admitted to hospital for steroid treatment, as she could not breathe.

You might find this link about croup helpfulwww.nhs.uk/Conditions/Croup/Pages/Introduction.aspx

You should seek immediate medical attention if your DS has any of the following symptoms:

severe breathing difficulties
increased breathing rate (they are too breathless to feed or talk) or 'silent chest' (you are unable to hear sounds of breathing)
worsening cough or rasping sound (stridor)
distress and agitation
the skin appearing dark, blue-tinged or pale
the skin around the ribs and chest appearing to be pulled in and tight, making the bones of the chest and ribs more visible
abnormal drowsiness and sleepiness
a high temperature of 38°C (100.4°F) or above
a rapid heartbeat or a falling heart rate

HTH and he is soon on the mend smile

WorrisomeHeart Wed 06-Jul-11 09:47:38

Thanks both. That's what my gut feeling was too - he's only bothered when he coughs, the rest of the time he's his cheery self! I didnt want to take up the emergency appt for no reason. Thanks for the link too, v helpful!

xDoingmybestx Wed 06-Jul-11 10:00:51

Glad to help smile

xDoingmybestx Wed 06-Jul-11 10:01:55

Sorry should have said I've changed my user name from Charlie B74

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now