Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby Head Injury

(19 Posts)
pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:18:34

Awfully, my son pulled down a heavy object onto his forehead this morning. He cried passionately for a short while and now is back to normal, though there is a bruise already on his forehead. I've researched child concussion, and I know that I'm looking out for him to have changes to sleep schedule, be less alert, have eye contact issues as emergency things to pick up on. Miraculously, he seems totally normal, but I am really worried. Should I take him to the doctors anyhow just in case to get him checked over? We live in DRCongo, and so if I do go to the doctor, I need to have absolutely accurate questions to ask as otherwise I don't think the doctor here will do more than the overall checks that I've done myself with internet research. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Help please!! Also, is there anything I can do to help with the bruising? Also, please don't tell me to be more careful in future, I'm already beating myself up alot for allowing this to happen and it won't be happening again. Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:19:00

ps he is 6 and a half months old.

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:19:03

ps he is 6 and a half months old.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 06-Jul-11 08:20:36

I would have him checked over as he is so young. I assumed as he pulled it down himself he was about 6 years, not months.

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 08:21:14

Not knocked out/no more than one vomit/acting normally = fine. Wouldn't get more than a couple of mins at a British A+E, apart from a call from the HV to talk about home safety.

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 08:21:59

For bruising Rx time. If some cretin suggests arnica, slap them.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 06-Jul-11 08:22:24

If you were in the UK I'd say go and get checked out to be safe but as you're where you are not sure there's any point. I suppose it would depend on how heavy is heavy and did it fall a long way before hitting him or a short way?

Cool flannels on the brusie and calpol if you have some will help.

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:22:55

How heavy was the object? If he seems fine, didn't lose consciousness or vomit and isn't showing signs of concussion now I probably wouldn't take him to the doctor.

LIZS Wed 06-Jul-11 08:23:53

He sounds fine . Unless he is sick, inconsolable or becomes drowsy suddenly not necessary to visit a doctor.

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 08:27:26

Chekkit

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:44:51

Ok, thanks a million. It fell a short way, it was a camera that had a lead dangling that he pulled. He hasn't any of the symptoms that you've mentioned and he seems completely normal, but I will not let him out my sight to double check symptoms over the next few days to be on the safe side. I have calpol, and chekkit is a good find. Thank you so so so much.

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:44:57

Ok, thanks a million. It fell a short way, it was a camera that had a lead dangling that he pulled. He hasn't any of the symptoms that you've mentioned and he seems completely normal, but I will not let him out my sight to double check symptoms over the next few days to be on the safe side. I have calpol, and chekkit is a good find. Thank you so so so much.

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 08:47:58

Lol. Chekkit is a tongue in cheek way of saying "check this out", grandma.

What it links to is the NICE guidelines. V readable and useful, not just for HI.

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 08:49:16

Glad he's OK. Commonest thing said, whitefaced, by parents in the paeds area of an A+E? "He's never done that before!".

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:51:06

I wouldn't worry too much about a camera. If it was an iron on the other hand...

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 08:57:14

Yes, I went to the chekkit website. I liked it alot. Thank you. OK, off to spend some quality quality time with my little man now. Thank you again.

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 11:03:05

Someone has suggested arnica - someone who lives locally who is apparently sending some to me now and it is someone I respect. What's wrong with it in your opinion please?

pinkposey Wed 06-Jul-11 11:19:40

Ok! I answered my own question with a bit of internet research, that basically that arnica tablets are a placebo, and arnica cream might be too. Anyway, doesn't seem like its for dangerous reasons that its contraversial, so I might as well try (the cream) seeings its been recommended to me, and it is available. Thanks !

bruxeur Wed 06-Jul-11 15:47:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now