Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lactose intolorance i need help :(

(8 Posts)
chloeandmadi Wed 06-Jul-11 08:04:20

my daughter is 9 months old and from a few weeks old she was being sick a lot and having really runny nappies about 5-8 times a day. i took her to the gp and they said its what babies do.
when she was 4 months old she started with eczema so i took her back still having runny nappies being sick and not liking being on her tummy they gave her some cream for her skin and told me the poos were normal for babies.
by 6 months and eating solids (3 meals a day) i would of thought her poos would of got harder it got worse i would give her yoghurs and she was really sick with no temp and she was going thru 10 nappies a day took her back to the docs they told me it was prob milk intolorance because she had eczema so she was put on a milk free diet with pepti junior milk.
after a month her eczema didnt clear up i was getting so fustrated. but by this time i noticed a real big change in her she wasnt being sick her poos were solid and only having 1-2 a day and she stopped being sick, also she loved being on her tummy smile.
i was just wondering if this sounds like lactose intolorance the doctor wont test her untill shes older sad

thanks for any replys.

trixymalixy Wed 06-Jul-11 08:08:11

It could be classic cows milk allergy. I don't know specifically about lactose intolerance testing, but both mine were tested for allergies at 6 months old.

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:08:18

It sounds like all her symptoms stopped when you put her on the dairy free diet? The eczema might not be related - are you treating the eczema?

I'm not sure lactose intolerance causes eczema anyway, and it is very rare in babies. Cow's milk intolerance is much more common.

chloeandmadi Wed 06-Jul-11 08:21:33

i am treating the eczema its bad sad when she got the eczema they said it was prob a milk intolorance or alergy i cant remember which and the eczema would clear up it didnt so i had like 3 docs in the room looking at her discussing her symptoms they said it was more likley lactose intolorance the only reason they wont test for it if i get this right is the blood test wont show it up and the other test is a hyrogen breath test which prob wont work for babies her age coz they have to fast for about 12 hours b4 and breathe into a mask which will prob distress her

allhailtheaubergine Wed 06-Jul-11 08:27:48

My 3yo son has a milk allergy. We discovered it in November. To the best of our knowledge he has a 'delayed milk allergy' which is different from an immediate milk allergy and different again from lactose intolerance.

He shows up as mildly allergic in tests, which is completely at odds with a life changing difference it makes when we exclude dairy from his diet.

There was a very interesting and informative Q&A session on MN recently which you should read - I#ll try and find it for you but have to pop out now. Will be back later.

Milk intolerance / lactose intolerance / milk allergies - they are not fully understood, it isn't an exact science, many medical professionals doubt them or are ill-informed about them. Exclusion remains the best way to test for them (dairy is clear from the body after 14 days, so any dairy free test need only last that long) but with a child so long I would only do so under medical advice. You need a sympathetic and well informed professional.

Will root out the Q&A when I get back.

RitaMorgan Wed 06-Jul-11 08:28:19

Lactose intolerance in a baby is usually quite serious and causes stomach/digestive problems and failure to thrive. I don't think it causes eczema.

It sounds like she has a cow's milk intolerance which can cause eczema, but eczema isn't necessarily caused by cow's milk - my ds isn't allergic to cow's milk but does have eczema. If the eczema isn't under control ask for a referral to a dermatologist. She might need a different treatment or steroids.

allhailtheaubergine Wed 06-Jul-11 08:28:39

[... but with a child so young ...]

chloeandmadi Wed 06-Jul-11 08:36:35

she would react within 30 mins to an hour after milk or food with milk in. they said the eczema was a sepurate condition if her stomoch is settled which it has thanks for all your replys smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now