Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS & herpes whitlow

(2 Posts)
rosebyanothername Tue 05-Jul-11 21:18:57

I'm feeling sick with worry - I have what I swear is herpes whitlow on my finger (I used to get cold sores a lot and it looks and feels exactly the same. I'm convinced I caught it from pressing a cash machine button when I had a cut on my finger, but that's another story). I've been to see the GP about it and he told me to keep it uncovered to let the air to it, which I stupidly did despite my instincts telling me it was a bad idea until I came to my senses a couple of hours later and covered it up again with a plaster. It is itchy and red and raw and hurts.

Anyway, despite my best efforts to keep it away from him while it was uncovered, DS grabbed my finger. I am terrified he'll have caught it and will get recurring herpes on his hands for the rest of his life, isn't herpes really dangerous for children? If he does get it, how do I stop it from infecting his eyes if he rubs them? Why did I listen to/trust the GP?

God I sound like a ranting paranoid mother, I wasn't worrying about it too much until just now. It's always this time of night when worries get to me.

Does anyone have any experience of this and can offer some advice/reassurance?

rosebyanothername Tue 05-Jul-11 21:21:50

Sorry, forgot to mention, DS is 14 months.

I'm still BF too, would that give him some protection?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now