Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cleaning toddler's penis- do I need to, and how?!

(8 Posts)
LaTristesse Tue 05-Jul-11 20:43:40

DS is 16 mo, I was told just to leave his penis alone rather than clean it, but I'm wondering how long this applies for. He's starting to squirm when I get a flannel near that area now and in this weather I'm worried he'll get sweaty and dirty. He doesn't seem bothered with exploring it himself, in fact he seems to find it uncomfortable... What do I do?

kalo12 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:45:02

nothing just bath him

greycircles Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:13

My DS is 5 and I have never once cleaned down there. He just sits in the bath. Never been a problem.

CMOTdibbler Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:35

A bath is enough.

Indith Tue 05-Jul-11 20:49:07

Encourage him to swoosh it about a bit but otherwise leave it. When his foreskin starts to retract then he will let you know and demonstrate. A lot. All the time. At the dinner table. On the sofa. In the middle of toddler group. When it does start to retract then encourage him to pull it back in the bath and wave it around a bit, it doesn't need any more cleaning than that and fiddling with it before it is ready to retract will just make it sore.

However, you do mention he seems a bit uncomfortable. It is possible to get little fungal infections, especially when they are still in nappies. Leave it well alone for a little bit, no flannel near there and keep an eye on it, is it red? Is he still uncomfortable even after a few days of not going downt here with a flannel? If so then no harm in taking him to the Dr to check. My ds got horrible blisters on the end of his once, yuck!

Suzannesee Wed 06-Jul-11 07:54:20

Indith has given you excellent advice above and I would follow that if you want to keep your son intact.

Personally, I chose to circumcise soon after birth. Like vaccination, it gives lifetime benefits and peace of mind in that area by eliminating foreskin problems.

paddyclamp Wed 06-Jul-11 11:54:26

Well I wouldn't have my DS butchered unless it was absolutely medically necessary and even then only as a last resort

OP..great advice by Indith

LaTristesse Wed 06-Jul-11 21:38:56

Thanks so much ladies, particularly Indith: brilliant! He's not red and sore, but I'll keep an eye... Looks like I'm in for some fun in the future! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now