Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

urgent - What can I put in the bath to soothe ds' sore bottom?

(16 Posts)
Wallace Tue 05-Jul-11 18:27:26

Ds age 4 has awful diarrhoea and his bottom is so sore. Every time he goes to the loo I have to put him in the shower cos it is too sore to wipe. He even says the water is too stingy.

Is there anything I could put in a bath to help sooothe and heal?

thanks

nightshade Tue 05-Jul-11 18:29:14

bicarb of soda?

gapants Tue 05-Jul-11 18:29:29

oatmeal/porridge oats will soften hard water, I would do that 1st of all. Tea Tree oil, just a couple of drops will help with the soreness and healing too. It is also an antiseptic. Lastly, I would put him to bed in pants, and a big blob of vaseline on his sore bottom over night. Hope he feels better soon.

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 05-Jul-11 18:31:52

Maybe baking soda? Or oatmeal in a old pair of tights? Poor DS, hope he recovers soon. sad

I would put Vaseline on his bum for a barrier in the meantime

whyso Tue 05-Jul-11 18:31:58

Vaseline should help. Your poor DS.

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 05-Jul-11 18:32:55

Great minds! All the best to your poor little fella xx

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 05-Jul-11 18:33:06

Bicarbonate of soda or a camomile tea bag.
And metanium cream.

FooffyShmoofferschinhair Tue 05-Jul-11 18:36:01

Oilatum is good. It's very gentle.

Wallace Tue 05-Jul-11 20:10:28

Thank you so much all. I used some tea tree oil as it was closest to hand. It does seem a bit better - he has been up to the loo and he let me dab very gently with the loo roll.

Have done the pants and Vaseline. Hopefully he will be feeling a bit better in the morning. smile

gapants Tue 05-Jul-11 21:03:50

Poor thing, hopefully it will look better in the morning.

miarosemum Tue 05-Jul-11 21:10:54

clean him with wipes dipped in a pot of sudocrem or vaseline, makes cleaning the poo and skin much easier

Neverlandpirate Tue 05-Jul-11 21:12:22

Egg White! I swear it really works.

Separate the egg and whisk slightly to break it up a bit. Keep in fridge to cool it down. After every bout of diarrhoea and before bed take a clean cotton pad and smear some egg White over the sore skin. Use a clean pad each time you dip it in egg White so that you keep the egg clean. Allow the egg to dry and the skin before putting pants on.

The egg forms a barrier on the skin and the protein speeds u the healing process. As the egg is cooled from the fridge it is very soothing for sore skin too.

I use it for my dd who as a baby had awful diarrhoea every day due to medication and specula feed she was on.

You use it until the skin is not sore any more. which in my experience is only about 24 hr. Throw out the egg every 24 hrs and replace new one ready in the fridge.

I am a nurse and have used it on patients with their consent. It used tp be used a lot on the past in nursing, but the use of it was changed to other sorts of creams not because it did not work , but because of storage problems of the egg in hospitals and risk of allergies for those patients with undiagnosed egg intolerance.

Neverlandpirate Tue 05-Jul-11 21:14:16

Sorry for the typos...I am watching tv and typing at the same time, and iPad autocorrect is having a field day blush

Pleiades45 Wed 06-Jul-11 09:24:32

I'd second the egg white. I've not seen anything work as effectively.

gapants Wed 06-Jul-11 12:27:01

How is the patient today?

Wallace Wed 06-Jul-11 22:03:21

He is a lot better, thanks. Still has diarrhoea, but I am now allowed to wipe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now