Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help! my dd is in severe pain, please any ideas to help, had done gp, been hospital, got Buscopan.

(33 Posts)
piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:13:01

my original thread is here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/1246844-what-sort-of-abdomen-pain-is-this

she is 9. sudden onset of pain a week ago Saturday,( night before she'd had sudden fever shakes hot cold) pain worse in evenings, cramping and pulling. she doesn't have the big pain all the time, but it's always there. Appetite is normal, and nowt wrong with poo.

we were reffered to children's assessment ward yesterday at hosp, and told nothing bad, etc and given Buscopan for cramps.

She took one lunchtime, one evening, no change. woken this morning in agony.
Now, when she was in hosp it was low pain, not these, and the consultant even put on her discharge note, encourage dd to go to school.

Which i get, but only adds to the feeling that this is not really being taken seriously. With this pain she can't get out of bed.

Mesentric adenitis is what my gp and the hosp doctor have come up with, but when will there be any relief. Nothing's shown up in urine. The pain is left side only by belly button. Tender to touch.

can anyone else help. do i go back to hosp. please advise. x

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:16:30

bump

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:24:52

answers or soothing advice gratefully recieved, thanks

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 05-Jul-11 08:28:50

i would go back

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 05-Jul-11 08:29:11

maybe something will show up while its so acute

Marne Tue 05-Jul-11 08:30:51

I would take her back to A&E, what tests did she have? did they give her a scan?

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Tue 05-Jul-11 08:33:04

I agree the pain has developed so go back.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 05-Jul-11 08:37:52

Take her back while the pain is bad so they can see whats going on. If she's that bad that she can't stand up, phone an ambulance. Has she got a fever again?

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:50:47

she has no fever. has had no temp since the start last friday.

she is asleep at the moment. the hospital is an hour away. we have a 72 hour thing whereby we can go straight back to the ward. i read online that this can go on for weeks.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:52:21

no scan no, there's no 'cure' from what i have read, it will show that the lymph glands are swollen. its a viral infection. inbetween the spasmodic epsisodes, she is perfectly 'healthy' as in alert, no temp, eating like a horse.

it's a crazy thing.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:54:47

i have explained to gp and nurse and doc in hosptital that the pain is acute, they know that mesenteric adenitis mimics appendix pain, so they are aware of the severity when it hits. iyswim

on googling most pain is on the lower right, but dd's is middle left. which they have said whilst unusual is not unheard of.

throckenholt Tue 05-Jul-11 08:55:37

my DS had mesenteric adenitis - it was not an acute pain as you describe more a constant pain that just made him really miserable. Sometimes going to school was best for him because it helped to distract him. Nothing much touched the pain - just time - it takes a few days for the glands to calm down.

That does not sound like what your DD has - and I agree with the others that if the pain has changed and got worse then go back to the hospital.

throckenholt Tue 05-Jul-11 08:56:52

by the way - his was in the middle by the belly button and a bit above it.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:57:34

i think form my research there are varying degrees of pain with this. they are saying there is nothing else it can be, that her urine is fine, so no indication of kidney stone, or uti.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 08:58:54

such a relief to be able to 'talk' beauty of mn and all that. thanks all.

dd's is left, say 3inches below and above belly button.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 05-Jul-11 09:04:49

noone will mind if you take a child with acute abdominal pain to A and E

Becaroooo Tue 05-Jul-11 09:05:57

My ds1 has had this for a while...when the pain hits he goes white as a sheet and cries.

Turns out he has an umbilical hernia!!!

Going to get it repaired this year.

Becaroooo Tue 05-Jul-11 09:06:24

yep.

A&E def.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 10:50:55

there's no lump at all. we have 3 days to be able to go straight back into hosp, so my plan at the moment is if no improvement by thurs i am going back. her tummy is totally flat, just tender inside. can't rub it for comfort iyswim.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 05-Jul-11 10:53:32

I think it sounds a bit like what DD had.

Had to take her to private osteopath in the end.

piratecat Tue 05-Jul-11 11:03:31

how long did your dd have it fab?

the only other thing that happened to dd was 24 hrs before the fever, she whacked her head badly. Yet this can't have anything to do with that first fever and sore throat 24 hrs later? I thought when she got the fever and stuff it may have been due to concussion.

Yet it's speculative, and i find when they do one thing there is a whole host of other things that you question.

she is up and eating breakfast. had 3 hrs sleep this am.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 05-Jul-11 11:05:40

I will search for my thread. Give me a minute.

mycatthinksshesatiger Tue 05-Jul-11 11:12:19

I know it sounds far fetched but when I was around 10-11 friend at school had this - turned out to be a huge cyst on an ovary. I don't know if it's possible in pre-adolescent though. I had a grumbling appendix and mostly pain was in middle or on left side so it was repeatedly missed. i'd have days with no pain, then was eventually doubled up in pain. GP suspected appendix anyway even though pain was in "wrong" place and sent off bloods which showed huge white blood cell indicator. So appendix whipped out immeidately - surgeon said it was nearer centre of belly than normal.

You really need to rule out appendix as referred pain not uncommon. I found it was a very sharp, twisting sort of pain and was far worse when I moved my right leg. felt like I had a knife stuck inside me.

Hope you get this sorted v. soon x

TheOriginalFAB Tue 05-Jul-11 11:14:03

i CAN'T FIND RELELVANT THREAD BUT IF YOU SEARCH IN CHILDREN'S HEALTH INDER THIS NAME AND fABiAbACKaNDwELL THERE ARE Other posts.

DD has twisted all inside from her side to her feet. No wonder the GPs couldn't find anything. She is having private osteopathy treatment now and is making good progress.

throckenholt Tue 05-Jul-11 11:28:08

sore throat followed by fever and tummy pain is typical for mesenteric adenitis I think - reaction to a viral cold - some it goes to the ears, others the throat and some to the stomach glands.

Have you tried hugging a hot water bottle ? My ds found that helped a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now