Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long off school?

(5 Posts)
walesblackbird Mon 04-Jul-11 11:58:42

My 5 year old daughter started coming out in spots on Saturday and is now covered head to toe with chicken pox! She has not quite 3 weeks left in school. I wasn't sure when/if I would be able to send her back to school before the end of term?

And, my middle son hasn't had it yet - and we fly away on hols 3 weeks Thursday. He's got to have it soon or we're buggered.

CQrrrneee Mon 04-Jul-11 12:01:16

my 2 got it about a week or 2 apart so hopefully your ds will either get it next week or not at all. What a bummer though.

meditrina Mon 04-Jul-11 12:01:50

You can send her back to school when every single spot has dried up and crusted over (the key sign that she's no longer infectious).

The incubation period is up to 21 days (sorry, not what you would want to hear).

walesblackbird Mon 04-Jul-11 12:02:39

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mo3d Mon 04-Jul-11 12:02:52

Oh poor you. Apparently she is contagious til they all scab up.

My youngest got chickenpox and my middle child still didnt get them. Shes now nearly 13 and still hasnt had them! So your son might not get them at all.

Incubation is 2 weeks I think. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that he doesn't get it this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now