Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore throat, rash, red/White spotty Tongue, swollen glands

(19 Posts)
Downnotout Sun 03-Jul-11 23:36:38

not sure if anyone is still awake.
DD2 is 9. She started with a sore throat on Friday and lumpy swollen glands in her neck. By Saturday she was really feeling unwell, feverish and drowsy. This morning she had a White/ yellow coated Tongue with red spots on and her throat is so sore she's not eating and says drinking stings.
This afternoon she started getting a sandpapery rash on her chest which by tonight has covered her whole body.
We have been sat cuddling all day because she felt so poorly but it was only just now when I put her to bed that I noticed the rash had got so bad.
Had a quick google and what came up was scarlet fever. I thought you didn't get that anymore. Should I be worried? Obviously will take to doctor in the morning but you know how it is, you read something on the Internet and start fretting!

Bohica Sun 03-Jul-11 23:40:47

Poor thing. Firstly does the rash disappear if you put a glass ontop of it? What is her temp like & is she ok with light & neck movement?

Sounds to me like she has a spreading infection.

Is she sleeping ow & can you wake her if you needed to?

Downnotout Sun 03-Jul-11 23:54:19

The rash doesn't go away. But it's not a meningitis type rash- I'm sure. I just went in and spoke gently to her and she did stir so I'm sure I could wake her. But she's only been in bed for an hour so I didn't want to disturb her too much. The poor thing was up half the night last night, crying with the pain in her throat.

Bohica Sun 03-Jul-11 23:58:44

V. Hard to help without seeing her so I can only say if the rash doesn't fade under a glass test she needs to be seen in A&E.

I understand why you want to wait, especially as she is exhausted.

Whats your mothers instinct saying?

Downnotout Mon 04-Jul-11 00:15:19

Well she's my third child. I've seen most childhood diseases. I'm certain it's not meningitis. My other DD had scarlatina. This is worse than that. The pictures on the website I looked at are exactly how her skin and Tongue look and that's what's pointed me to scarlet fever. Until this aft I thought it was tonsillitis- she has a bad case earlier this year and was I'll for about 6 weeks. We went through all sorts of tests for mumps, glandular fever and lymphoma because she is very " glandy" anyway, but they all came back clear. Then she started getting these lumps in her gums which the dentist initially said needed to be seen at the hospital but when I told her about the lumps and tests we'd already had she said they were probably just fatty lumps and not to worry.
Now I feel like if I go back to the doctor with a sore throat they'll think I'm mad. I have taken pictures of her rash tonight so I can show them how she looks just in case it's disappeared! Lol. But honestly, I know she isn't well, she's fighting some kind of infection.

Raeofsunshine Mon 04-Jul-11 00:20:34

Could be strep throat which can then cause either measles or scarlet fever (can't remember which but google will tell you).
Get her to the gp ASAP for antibiotics strep throat is horrible if that's what it is.
Hope she feels better soon.

Downnotout Mon 04-Jul-11 00:27:32

Thank you. I guess what I'm saying is I feel like a bad mother for not taking her to out of hours today and am sat here wondering if her symptoms warrant seeing someone tonight or if its ok to wait til morning. Why do these things always come at a weekend?

Gooseberrybushes Mon 04-Jul-11 00:31:16

Could it be measles? Sounds measly. Does she have white spots on the sides of her mouth?

Gooseberrybushes Mon 04-Jul-11 00:31:48

inside sides of her mouth, I mean.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 04-Jul-11 00:33:35

Scarlet fever is around though. Have you got any multivit?

Downnotout Mon 04-Jul-11 00:36:54

She's had her MMR, I know that doesn't rule them out completely. But the rash isn't red or purple it's raised and pimply like eczema, feels really rough. Her throat is red and swollen, haven't looked at the insides of her mouth, just her tongue, which has all these red spots on it.

Gooseberrybushes Mon 04-Jul-11 00:37:26

measles rash is like that though I think

Downnotout Mon 04-Jul-11 00:39:32

No haven't got multivit. Have just been dosing with calpol for her temperature and some eurax cream to stop the rash itching.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Mon 04-Jul-11 00:47:03

I personally think you should call out of hours doctor or NHS direct. She is obviously feeling very poorly, and regardless of whether it is nothing but a virus, or potentially serious, no-one will blame you for calling just in case. And it will put your mind at rest, because you wouldn't be posting on here if your mind was completely at rest! Hope she is fine - sure she will be.

DeWe Mon 04-Jul-11 10:50:41

Sounds like scarlet fever to me. The sandpaper rash is exactly how I described it when my children have it.

Bohica Mon 04-Jul-11 17:46:09

How is your daughter feeling today?

Downnotout Mon 04-Jul-11 20:29:36

Thanks for all your concern. She's already picking up with the antibiotics. Strep throat and related rash- doctor was reluctant to diagnose scarlet fever because he says the rash is not red enough although her Tongue has peeled and is bright red now. The rash has spread to her hands and feet but is less pink on her body where it appeared yesterday. However he says she is infectious and must stay off school for a week.

sneezecakesmum Mon 04-Jul-11 23:15:47

I would guess scarlet fever, but as she is on antibiotics (which you need for the scarlet fever bug) then its irrelevant, she's getting the correct treatment either way.

I've had it and the fever and sore throat is like swallowing razor blades sad

DeWe Tue 05-Jul-11 15:29:12

When my pair had scarlet fever it wasn't red much at all. Certainly at the beginning it was just skin coloured, and only pink at any time. It was definitely sf though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now