Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

vomiting 2yo - what to do / when to worry?

(10 Posts)
threefeethighandrising Sat 02-Jul-11 11:04:35

My 2.5 yo started vomiting on Thursday evening, and it carried on yesterday.

Last night he seemed much better in the evening, but this morning he's been up since 5am puking (about 6 times today I think).

We spoke to NHS direct and they said we could expect it to go on for a few days checked he'd had no head injuries / rashes (none).

They said to get Diralyte (?sp) if it goes on - DP just on his way out to get some now.

I was expecting him to be better today, but he seems worse today if anything. He was still pretty chirpy in between pukes yesterday, just getting very grumpy when tired.

But now he seems to have no energy at all.

He's been drinking water and breastmilk, and at least some of it is getting through (he's still having wet nappies). He's rejected most food but eaten a few yoghurts and lots of breastmilk. He managed to hold most of it down yesterday evening.

As he seems worse today I'm wondering if anyone has any advice? We're still within the 3 days NHS direct said to expect, but I'm just a little worried as he doesn't seem any better.

I'll call NHS direct again if I'm really worried but I just wondered if anyone had any advice?

Have your DCs had similar? Do you know what it is? Is it catching? How long did it go on for? Did anything seem to help?

TIA smile

threefeethighandrising Sat 02-Jul-11 11:25:59

hopeful bump

wonka Sat 02-Jul-11 11:36:00

Hi, 48 hrs of vomiting is not unreasonable, if he is holding down fluids that is good, Try and encourage carbohydrates, dry toast, pasta, rice, bread. Dairy is probably not the best for a poorly tummy.
Make sure you are keeping his temp down. Dont give it the oppertunity to climb regular calpol. Ibuprophen wil upset his tummy more. Dioralite is great for rehydration but even the flovoured stuff tastes like muck, breast milk and water is probably enough. Remember little and often is much better than big volumes which will only encourage more vomiting.
He will be weaker and tired today he has had no food and vomiting is hard work. As long as he is reaponsive, drinking and even complaining, I wouldn't be too worried.

threefeethighandrising Sat 02-Jul-11 12:08:09

Hi Wonka, that's reassuring, thanks.
I hadn't thought to give Calpol pre-emptively, but it can't hurt can it?

bubbleymummy Sat 02-Jul-11 12:49:04

Sorry, I disagree with giving Calpol unless he is actually uncomfortable. If he does not have a high fever and isn't in pain (you've said he's cheerful when he's not getting sick/feeling tired) then it isn't recommended to give it.

I would stick with bm, water and just offer fruit/toast etc and avoid dairy.

jugglingmug Sat 02-Jul-11 12:56:10

Agree with bubbleymummy, if he doesnt have temp or pain, no point in calpol.

Ice lollies quite nice or ice cubes as they give fluids slowly and take the nasty taste away for a bit. If he's having wet nappies then he's not too dehydrated. That's the main thing to keep an eye on.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 02-Jul-11 13:02:03

I agree with staying from the calpol if you can, even if he has a temp. The thinking now is that a slight temp will help fight the infection. If he is still vomiting, don't feed him yet just keep up the fluids. If he is breastfeeding, dioralyte isn't needed as it will give him everything he needs

DeWe Sat 02-Jul-11 21:18:07

I wouldn't worry at all on those symptoms. I'd personally give calpol if he has a temperature, although that's partually because dd2 is sick with high temperatures, and if her temperature gets above about 39, then it can take 3-4 days of full doses of calpol and ibroprofin to get it down.
The times when I have had sickness bugs that have been worrying was once when dd2 was sick every 5 minutes on a train between Coventry and Leeds. She couldn't stand up after that for nearly 48 hours. She was 15 months. (They were lovely to her on the train though, and were bringing her stuff from the buffet car for free, which she promptly would bring up againgrin) and ds got sent to A&E with vomitting but that was bringing everything including water straight back again, and he wasn't rousing properly from sleep. But he had had an operation (grommets) 3 days previously and was also on antibiotics so they wanted to keep an eye on him.

fatandknackered Sat 02-Jul-11 21:24:09

Dioralyte has sorted my DS out on similar occasions - GP recommended putting it in diluting juice to mask the taste, which worked. Think it made him feel better, rather than being a miracle cure tho.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

threefeethighandrising Sat 02-Jul-11 21:50:05

Thanks everyone for your advice.

DS perked up a lot this afternoon. I'm not sure if it was the nap he had, the jam he picked off the toast I gave him, the calpol (although I know you're not meant to give it for a mild temp, but somehow when presented with my sick child that knowledge seemed to vanish. Will remember next time) or managing to hold some breastmilk down, but he was actually chirpy (a world away from this morning - he lay down all morning, totally uninterested in anything).

He had a meltdown this evening and early bedtime (usually a sleep-fighter) so he's not all better, but a great improvement.

Thanks again for your replies smile

DeWe how horrible for you all, not anyone's idea of fun sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now