Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice please-baby's reaction to penicillin

(5 Posts)
jumpinghoops Fri 01-Jul-11 20:22:52

Hello,

My 13 month old daughter has tonsilitis and has been on penicillin for 2 days (first dose taken Weds night). She is obviously fairly distressed with the painful throat anyway so it's hard to judge and maybe I'm overthinking her reaction to penicillin but:-

-she is having pretty explosive, black watery diarrhoea

-she is going absolutely crazy when i give it to her (mental screaming, scratching, biting, crying hard for a good 10 mins or so after having it). Generally she is absolutely fine with taking medicine, and was fine with first couple of doses of this so I don't think the taste bothers her that much

- she is having trouble sleeping and sleeps on her front with knees bent right up underneath. Last night she would really only sleep on my chest. This afternoons nap was the same, I could kind of feel her stomach cramping when she was on me and she wimpered each time.

Now, the trouble sleeping etc. could well be down to the tonsils. I'm not going to stop giving her the penicillin, but I wondered if I should try and speak to some medical person (docotrs will be closed) over the weekend.

Is it normal for babies to get this kind of diarhhoea and stomach pain with taking penicillin?

Thanks for any advice!
JH

miniwedge Fri 01-Jul-11 20:26:32

There are glands in the tummy which can give children pretty nasty tummy pain when they are poorly but I would go to out of hours service at that age and with those symptoms.

DeWe Sat 02-Jul-11 21:22:27

DS reacted with tummy pains and diarhoea to a greater or lesser extent to all antibiotics at that age. As he was on them more often than not it was a bit of a problem. He still needs to be pinned down to take any antibiotics, although he takes calpol and piriton fine, so I don't think the not wanting to take it is really a showing a problem. He doesn't react with tunny problems to most antibiotics now.
Phone NHS direct if you're worried.

thisisyesterday Sat 02-Jul-11 21:32:09

that sounds really horrible, i would get her seen by someone tbh

jumpinghoops Mon 04-Jul-11 20:17:40

Thank you for all advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now