Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worm veterans, help please!

(9 Posts)
bitzermaloney Thu 30-Jun-11 12:23:23

I think we are having our first experience of worms... and have some questions.

Just how hard are they to get rid of? For the past 3 days since treating us all with Ovex I've cleaned the house (on the first day), washed all our bottoms on waking (dh did his own grin), everybody's been to bed in pants and pyjamas, I've washed every towel after every use, and all the bedding every day...

But reading about worms and how they are in dust and can get airborne and inhaled, it seems like an impossible task. Especially as I suspect ds2 may have had them for a while (he kept spreading the contents of his nappy around the cot early morning, which may indicate an itchy bottom). So the eggs could have got EVERYWHERE. Do I need to be washing all the lego and stuff like that as well? Am bloody exhausted and feeling overwhelmed at the task of cleaning every surface in the house. And it may be paranoia but I still feel slightly itchy - shouldn't they all be dead now since we took Ovex on Tuesday morning? Just noticed ds2 trying to get in his nappy as well, looking uncomfortable.

Trying very hard not to freak out about this - I feel ill just thinking about it.

bitzermaloney Thu 30-Jun-11 15:33:58

Ds2 now keeps holding his bottom and whinging... have made appointment at doc for tomorrow morning. Has anyone else had trouble with worms not disappearing after Ovex?

bitzermaloney Thu 30-Jun-11 19:53:39

hopeful bump

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jun-11 20:02:12

You need two doses of Ovex IIRC.

Abra1d Thu 30-Jun-11 20:05:27

I found that the medication really did zap them. Like you I was washing everything all the time: sending my husband out to buy new towels and bedding because we ran out (it was winter, too, so we couldn't hang things out to dry and we have a washer-dryer, so there was a huge backlog of laundry). But the tablets did the job. So far as I know, we haven't had them again.

Interestingly, we got them just when my daughter had switched to a posh private school at the beginning of year six. She found the loos and general hygiene less good than it had been in the state primary in the village. grin

januaryjojo Thu 30-Jun-11 21:01:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nomadwantshome Thu 30-Jun-11 21:53:52

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the eggs can stay live for 6 weeks. I would put all soft furnishings and blankets away for 6 weeks plus and then it avoids having to wash absolutely everything. I extended it to Teddy bears and toys they could do without.

They are buggers, we've had about 3 attacks so far. I hope I'm nor jinxing myself. I'm with you on the exhaustion of washing everything.

rockinhippy Fri 01-Jul-11 09:29:08

I found them pretty easy to get rid of, though like you was worried they wouldn't be - I perhaps wasn't as thorough as you with cleaning either (health problems make that difficult) but I read the eggs are killed at 60 degree, so used a steam cleaner to zap everywhere with hot steam - seemed to do the trick smile

bitzermaloney Fri 01-Jul-11 20:59:02

Thanks for the replies. Saw the doctor today and have some more meds. She said if it was really bad we could take it every day for 5 days with no problems... but don't think we're that bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now