Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How contagious id Whooping cough?

(7 Posts)
LadyBuzz Wed 29-Jun-11 08:04:55

My BF DD has whooping cough and is really poorly, I spent quite a bit of time with her at the weekend with my 5MO DD.

Any idea how contagious it is? DD has had all her IMMs to date but i just wondered if anyone had any experience of this?

Any advice much appreciated

LadyBuzz Wed 29-Jun-11 08:38:05

by BF i mean Best friend not Breast Fed! Just realised that didn't make a great deal of sense!

bubbleymummy Wed 29-Jun-11 17:21:23

I think it's pretty contagious - you can check it on the NHS website. Do you not think she is protected by the vaccine? How old is your friend's DD?

LadyBuzz Wed 29-Jun-11 19:10:48

Thanks bubbleymummy I will have a look, I expect she will be covered I just know it isn't 100%.
Friends DD is only 9 weeks but was a preemie so is not well at all.

feynman Tue 05-Jul-11 23:41:17

If your child has had the 3 vaccines at 2,3 and 4 months then I wouldn't worry. This is why they vaccinate 3 times to ensure its effective. My son caught it after he'd had one jab but not the other 2. They told me most children are immune after the second but practically all after 3.
How long had your friends dd been ill when you saw them? Pertusis is at is most contagious early on but by the time you are properly coughing the bacteria that has done the damage has usually gone. It is the lasting effect on the upper airways that cause the coughing.

PirateDinosaur Tue 05-Jul-11 23:45:23

Very contagious. The vaccinations should give at least partial and potentially total immunity, though. You are probably more likely to catch it than your DD if it's been a while since you were vaccinated as immunity does wear off over time (hope you don't as it is really grim).

PirateDinosaur Tue 05-Jul-11 23:46:21

Hope your friend's DD is OK, too. DS had it at two weeks and that was worrying enough with him being a (very) big robust full-termer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now