Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many brusies and bumps are normal for a 3 year old boy??

(8 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 28-Jun-11 21:19:24

DS is covered! He is very active and is outside lots of the time. I bruise very easily but I did read somewhere that lots of bruises in children can be a sign of ill health??

StitchingMoss Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:23

Both my boys are also covered in bruises/grazes/cuts/scratches (3 yrs old and 20 months).

I think the "bruises = ill health" thing only counts if the bruises are unexplained?

HettyAmaretti Tue 28-Jun-11 21:24:29

DD is three and a half, she's always outside and very active. ATM she has grazes on her chin, elbow, knee and bum (all from seperate accidents) as well as innumerable little bruises, mainly on her shins / legs.

Totally normal IMO.

If you're worried that DS is bruising too much / too easily then it'd be best to have a chat with your GP about it.

dustyhousewithdustypeople Tue 28-Jun-11 21:27:13

Bruises definitely normal, especially on shins, knees, elbows. Only need to worry if the bruises are massive and out of proportion to the injury.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 29-Jun-11 00:13:57

There was a magazine ( written for medical profession ie GPs and HVs) which had an article about child health and it stated that anything over 14 bruises should be investigated. ?? for suspected abuse or medical cond which makes bruising more likely.
When I gave DS his bath( he was about 2.6) he was covered in small bruises,some older and going yellowy. I knew these were just boy rough and tumble. But it did make me worry if I'd had to take him to GPs.

CharlieBoo Wed 29-Jun-11 15:39:13

Hi my ds at this age was the same, covered on his legs, knees arms and back. I convinced myself there was something wrong with him and eventually took him to the gp and expressed my concerns and he thoroughly put my mind at rest and said children bruise so much more easily than adults and they are constantly playing/bumping and falling. I remember easily counting mid teens in bruises just on his shins and knees. He's 6 now and hardly any bruises anymore, we seem to have scabby knees now instead lol! Try not to worry but if you want extra reassurance take him to gp.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Jun-11 20:17:22

Thanks everyone!! Feel much better to know that other little boys are covered too! He is so active and is always in shorts etc, we let him climb and run etc and have lots of physical play but I do worry as it looks grim!

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Jun-11 20:19:19

My ds is covered too. He is a perpetual motion machine. Today he was running home from taking dd to school and wiped out on the pavement. He has a massive graze on his face, but he got straight back up and carried on. He has a big bruise on his back from falling off his chair pretending to be an aeroplane too. I think, from seeing other dc his age, it's completely normal and nothing to worry about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now