Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How likely is it that my DD is going to get chicken pox?

(5 Posts)
Lady1nTheRadiator Tue 28-Jun-11 10:48:41

Went to soft play last Monday with a couple of friends for one of their DS's birthday. Friend1 has texted to say Friend2s DS developed chicken pox on Tues.

DS has had it, so fine. DD is 8 months and wasn't around this DC too much, but sat at the same table for food etc.

And what do I do in the meantime? I would not dream of knowingly taking a contagious child out but I don't think I can be expected to keep her in for three weeks just in case she develops it, can I?

PrettyCandles Tue 28-Jun-11 11:00:24

At 8m she's not really going to be interacting much with othe children, so, no, I wouldn't quarantine her.

Do you rely on playgroups alot? Could you bear not to go to them for 3w?

What about elderly relatives?

Lady1nTheRadiator Tue 28-Jun-11 11:07:49

No elderly relatives (sadly) to worry about. I go to one playgroup and the library, hmm I could miss it, just feel for DS really - and I have to take him to preschool 3x a week and obviously she has to come with me - it is sports day next week, I am supposed to be meeting a friend with a slightly younger baby this week...

I don't want to be careless. But on the other hand she could be coming into contact with children who are about to develop spots so many other times that I just wouldn't know about. If only there was a way to tell - but of course then it wouldn't be so contagious in the first place!

PrettyCandles Tue 28-Jun-11 11:16:45

TBH I wouldn't worry. Just keep her in the buggy so that she's not crawling over to kiss newborns.

Probably ought to mention it to that other mum. Her reaction will probably depend on how many other dc she has and whether she's got a holiday booked.

But, yes, the children are exposed all the time and in many places, and many parents aren't as conscientious as you.

Lady1nTheRadiator Tue 28-Jun-11 11:35:55

Thanks PC. I have marked on the calendar when Poxwatch can end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now