Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

high temp with blisters on the tounge

(10 Posts)
mummymulhoop Mon 27-Jun-11 13:34:48

my 2 year old has a high temp and 3 whiteish blisters on her tounge and a red blister like spot on her chin she is very out of sorts and not sleeping well, she also crys when she eats that it hurts, any ideas what it might be would be greatly recieved smile

ashamedandconfused Mon 27-Jun-11 13:45:18

try googling "hand foot and mouth disease" . Google pics to compare the blisters in her mouth

don't panic, it is a mild viral condition ,nothing to do with the very serious disease in cattle!

look for tiny blisters between her fingers, toes, buttocks too

there is no treatment , give calpol if out of sorts and miserable

see GP for peace of mind - is she vaccinated? measles can also start with spots in the mouth and you need to rule that out as it can be serious

HTH, and hope she is feeling better soon

Imnotaslimjim Mon 27-Jun-11 13:46:52

Whether HF&M or not, offer ice pops/ice cubes to suck to ease the pain. It'll help keep her hydrated too if she's struggling to drink

mummymulhoop Mon 27-Jun-11 13:50:44

thanks so much for your quick replies, yes she all up 2 date with her vaccines, ill look them pics up, never heard of that b4, only in cattle, yes ill def give her the icepops, she is able 2 drink its just eating that causes her a problem,

belgo Mon 27-Jun-11 13:51:41

It does sound like Hand foot and mouth but it is NOT the same disease as foot and mouth disease in cattle.

acatcalledbob Mon 27-Jun-11 14:09:05

We get a lot of HFM here in Asia - just be aware that it's super contagious, particularly just before the spots appear so you might want to warn anyone she's been in contact with recently.

Keep her fluids up, give calpol for fever, icepops are great for hydrating sore throats, so is jelly.

Hope she's better soon.

mummymulhoop Mon 27-Jun-11 14:25:21

given her calpol, twice today, doesnt seem to be taking her temp down, she has really only been in contact with her brother, as she doesnt go 2 playgroup yet, her brother does but he is fine

ashamedandconfused Mon 27-Jun-11 14:31:45

she could have picked it up from someone sneezing in the supermarket, or wiping their infected dribble on the slide in the park! Its quite a long incubation period before the spots appear, if i recall - 2 weeks I think. Someome else she is in contact with may have been feeling a bit off but only had it mildly and thought it was just a cold.

mummymulhoop Mon 27-Jun-11 14:42:12

thanks for your help, fingers crossed my son doesnt come down with it now

Imnotaslimjim Mon 27-Jun-11 14:56:33

If calpol isn't bringing the temp down and you're concerned (remember that a temp is the bodies way of fighting infection and can help the child get better quicker) ibuprofen can be given at the same time. A tepid (NOT cold) bath can help too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now