Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sunburned 11 mo

(18 Posts)
Sallyport Mon 27-Jun-11 07:32:09

My baby's arms were really pink after being in the sun for about an hour yesterday. I had applied Factor 50 but, on doing further research (after the horse had bolted), I don't think the brand we're using (Banana Boat) is the best. It's excema-friendly but obviously not as protective as other brands. He seems happy enough but his arms are still pink and I feel absolutely terrible and sick to my core for letting this happen. He shouldn't have been in the sun at all on such a hot day. I know that now and feel very naiive. He's almost 1yo so I don't think we need to go to A&E. I used cool flannels last night to cool his arms and put on E45. Anything else I can do?

mrspear Mon 27-Jun-11 07:37:31

Morning

Firstly it has happened, so stop beating yourself up.

Now little one - how hot are his arms? does he seem to have any discomfort?
If not self medicate - E45 is very thick - do you not have any after sun? Or natural yogurt - sounds strange but acts as a cooler.

He sounds like he will be fine - leason learnt and big hug

Piggyleroux Mon 27-Jun-11 07:39:48

I wouldn't worry. A bit of sun won't hurt. What did we do before sun cream was invented grin it's good to get a bit of sun anyway, vitamin d and all that. When ds was a baby my dh, a doctor, made me expose him to some morning sun for 15 mins a day.

I don't use suncream on ds 15mo but cover him up in the sun long sleeve cotton top, cotton trousers and hat.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

That Banana Boat is very misleading. I did the same when DS was about 3. Make sure that any cream you buy has 5 stars on the back as some of them despite being high factor do not offer the best protection. There was a recent study I think by Which which rated Asda cream as giving much much more protection than the SPF factor. We had it last year and it was fantastic.

Seona1973 Mon 27-Jun-11 07:42:15

are you sure it is sunburn and not a reaction to the suncream itself? (if he has sensitive skin)

AnyFucker Mon 27-Jun-11 07:53:13

aaww try not to worry, he will be fine

don't use E45 on sunburn though, it's like putting butter on a burn, an old-wives tale that really isn't helpful

all it does is lock in the heat

just keep it clean and dry and open to the air (but not the sun, obvs wink )

Sallyport Mon 27-Jun-11 07:57:48

Thank you for your kind words.

Seona, it's not a reaction to the cream as I put the cream all over his body but only his arms were uncovered and that's the only burnt part.

Mrspear, his arms were hot last night but are just warmer than elsewhere today. He still seems happy enough but he did wake for a whimper in the night sad.

My DH also reckons it's a valuable lesson. We're not crazy on those all over UV suits and had him in a lovely Boden stripy t-shirt blush - our vanity will not take precedence over our baby's health again.

Sossiges Mon 27-Jun-11 08:05:30

Aloe vera gel is THE best thing for sunburn, very soothing (esp is you keep it in fridge) and very good for skin, I always have some in

Sallyport Mon 27-Jun-11 08:12:04

Sossiges - where can I buy aloe vera gel? Boots or do I need to go to a natural health place?

Sossiges Mon 27-Jun-11 08:22:16

I get mine online since I live in the wilds but I imagine you can get it from Boots, I just had a quick look and they do a Banana Boat (!) one

Sossiges Mon 27-Jun-11 08:26:20

Or natural health place if you've got one. Best to get one with highest % of aloe vera.

HollyFP Mon 27-Jun-11 08:30:25

The best thing for sunburn is to cool the skin down, not necessarily moisturise. Cool flannels etc.
Long sleeve thin tshirts might be the way forward smile

Sallyport Mon 27-Jun-11 08:36:37

I live in Brighton so we have zillions of natural health places so I'll get some to keep in my fridge. Hopefully I won't need it again anyway as I've learned my lesson big time.

Sossiges Mon 27-Jun-11 09:30:14

It's good for other things too, I put it on cuts & grazes & I've used it on a bit of nappy rash which wouldn't go away with Metanium.
Byee smile

bessie26 Mon 27-Jun-11 12:15:07

ben10 what do the 5 stars indicate?

I just looked on my bottle of ultrasun and it hasn't got any stars? Should I be worried?!

In the UK and Ireland, the Boots star rating system is a proprietary in vitro method used to describe the ratio of UVA to UVB protection offered by sunscreen creams and sprays. Based on original work by Prof. Brian Diffey at Newcastle University, the Boots Company in Nottingham, UK, developed a standard method which has been adopted by most companies marketing these products in the UK. The logo and methodology of the test are licenced for a token fee to any manufacturer or brand of sunscreens that are sold in the Boots retail chain, provided the products to which the logo is applied perform to the standard claimed. Own Label products exclusively sold in other retailers are now excluded from the terms of the licence. It should not be confused with SPF, which is measured with reference to burning and UVB. One-star products provide the least ratio of UVA protection; five-star products are best. The method has recently been revised in the light of the Colipa UVA PF test, and with the new EU recommendations regarding UVA PF. The method still uses a spectrophotometer to measure absorption of UVA vs UVB; the difference stems from a requirement to pre-irradiate samples (where this was not previously required) to give a better indication of UVA protection, and of photostability when the product is used. With the current methodology, the lowest rating is three stars, the highest being five stars.

If it isn't sold in Boots then maybe that is why it doesn't have it.

bessie26 Mon 27-Jun-11 13:09:55

Thanks for the info! I will relax! We've only used it a few times but seems ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now