Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Umbilical hernia?

(2 Posts)
Notnigella33 Sun 26-Jun-11 07:41:13

At 12 months I mentioned to myHV that DS had a v protruding tummy button thatgoes inandout - someitmes innie sometimes outie! Since he stopped wearing vests he keeps telling me it's 'hot' (means it hurts) when I do up his trouser buttons or his high chair - basically when anything goes near it. So took him to Dr and he has been referred for an ultrasound as she is worried by the fact it goes in and out and wants to rule out bowel or intestine poking through the hernia.
I wondered if anyone had any experience of this? I haveonly heard of such hernias being picked up when babies are much littler,. He is now 19 months.
Many thanks

WhatTheDeuce Sun 26-Jun-11 08:25:30

Didn't want you going unanswered, my youngest had an umbilical hernia as a v young baby. HV assured me that given time it would retract, if not they can put a small stitch to strengthen stomach wall and prevent it popping out again. Obv yours is older but the procedure sounded routine so it's definitely worth talking to your HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now