Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I get a 3yr old to take penicillin?

(6 Posts)
Jen44 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:06:44

DS - nearly 4 - has always been difficult taking nasty tasting medicine. Just had to pin him down and it still went everywhere. First we tried a bribe of chocolate, then tried holding his nose, neither worked. Traumatic for all - any ideas gratefully received.
Thank you smile

RuthChan Sat 25-Jun-11 20:03:14

How do you administer it? Do you use a spoon or a syringe?
A syringe is better because it allows you to put the medicine directly into the back of his mouth, where he tastes it less and is able to do little other than swallow.
Otherwise, can you mix it with anything to hide the taste?

Imnotaslimjim Mon 27-Jun-11 13:53:37

Unless he has SN (you don't mention it so I'm assuming not) surely you can just explain that he has to take it to make him better? My DD is 3.2 and is on long term antibiotics for recurrent UTI. The med is vile, it even makes me wince, but she takes it no problem cos she knows it to make it better

As Ruth says though, a syringe is easier if you can't get him to just take it

oricella Mon 27-Jun-11 14:01:47

sometimes it works asking a neutral party to give the meds... DD was a nightmare taking penicilin at home, but took it from nursery staff without any fuss.. if you have had to resort to force that can become part of the problem

BigBadBear Mon 27-Jun-11 14:08:50

Would he take tablets? My DD1 has always hated taking liquid meds, but has taken tablets since before she was 3yo.

If so, you'll need a new prescription.

mercibucket Mon 27-Jun-11 20:53:55

they usually taste quite nice tbh - maybe have a word with the pharmacist to find out if there is a better tasting version of the same med or if they would recommend another one with similar effects for next time

otherwise, syringe is much better than spoon

and just tell him he's got to take it. at nearly four, I'd expect more cooperation from mine so I've got my 'don't even think about it' face on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now