Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

bruises on legs and arms - rash?

(5 Posts)
crispface Fri 24-Jun-11 19:39:54

have just come home from work and got dd ready for bed. she is 3.

All over her shins, and one arm are small bruises, about the size of the end of a pencil. They are not black/purple like normal bruises, but more a dull red colour, as if they would be had she just fallen.

Only she hasnt fallen. And if she has it would not have been onto the end of a pencil many times.

She has been with my parents today and has had a lovely day - she has been to a farm, so i am thinking maybe bites? although the "bruises" are not raised.

She is not unwell, although was off colour earlier in the week, and she had her pre-school booster injection, not the MMR, the other one - polio, diptheria etc.

what could it be?

DeWe Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:39

Sounds a bit like the rash ds gets. It's connected to having a virus. He's had blood tests numerous times because it's similar to meningitits rash. They've never been really concerned he's got meningitis because the rash comes latish on and he's always been obviously well. Something to do with a virus causing complications in blood clotting, I think.
It's quite useful. I can tell if he's coming down with something when he starts getting them, usually round his ears.

sneezecakesmum Fri 24-Jun-11 22:01:36

There is a condition called Henoch schleinlin purpura (not spelt right) but if you type in HSP have a look at the symptoms. My broadband is playing up so all I'm getting is the neverending circle!! Hence no link and I cant check the symptoms with your post.

crispface Fri 24-Jun-11 22:12:35

thanks both. it is definitely not HSP, the bruises are more regular, not like bleeding under the skin. but they are not getting worse, and she has no temperature, so I'm feeling a bit calmer. I might pop her to see emergency doc in the morning though. Am refusing to phone NHS direct, because as soon as I say she has a non-blanching rash that'll be all of us in hospital all night, and I'm not sue it warrants that level of intervention. am just a bit confused.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 24-Jun-11 22:18:08

I'm with DeWe, sounds similar to a post-viral rash. Both me and DS are prone them (I even go it when I had a kidney infection!) As long as DD is fine in herself I wouldn't worry too much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now