Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS aged 5 has a perforated eardrum and refuses to take his antibiotics

(6 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 24-Jun-11 16:36:50

He has been ill with a virus since last Saturday and seems to have forgotten how to blow his nose (he's just sniffing it back up) and it's caused an ear infection, which was diagnosed by the doctor yesterday who said to use a "wait and see" approach but gave us a prescription for anti-b's as it was near the weekend. She said if it gets any worse then to start him on the anti-b's.

Last night was terrible, he was in a lot of pain and didn't fall asleep properly until 3.30am. He is awful at taking medicine and it was a struggle to get even calpol down him as he was just dribbling it out of his mouth and crying that it made him feel like he was going to be sick. But eventually he took some calprofen which helped with the pain and enabled him to sleep. Needless to say, I can't get the antibiotic medicine anywhere near him.

This morning, he woke up and told me his ear felt a lot better but I noticed yellowy discharge coming out of his ear which the doc said over hte phone is probably a perforated eardrum. He still feels grotty in himslef - not eating and just wanting to cuddle me etc, but doens't seem to have a temperature now.

The doctor said to certainly not force the medicine down him but if it doens't improve without the antibiotics and he won't take them to just bring him back.

Anyone else experienced this, and has it got better on its own without medication?

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jun-11 16:40:27

Oh poor little thing?
don't know...but can they go in orange juice?
I'm guessing you have tried chocolate button each time?

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 24-Jun-11 16:45:47

The doc didn't mention putting it in anything. I have tried it in the past though and he just doesn't drink the whole drink that the medicine is in, and of course then you worry about him not getting the full dose/course which probably leads to worse problems than if he hadn't started the course in the first place!

Ummmm....silly me,, but no, I didn't think of a chocolate button each time. Feel a bit daft now, sounds obvious!!! He is totally off any food though so not sure he'd go for it but it's definitely worth a try. He's asleep at the moment, might see if he's up for that idea later!

Thanks!!!

RightUpMyRue Fri 24-Jun-11 16:48:21

Buy a few really choccy pudding type things, the yoghurty sort, and hide it in those.

oricella Fri 24-Jun-11 22:02:28

I would consider holding off on the AB's for a little while now the drum has burst; it sounds unpleasant, but as you have noticed the lead-up to the burst is much worse than the bursting itself.. if his temp is OK that might be a sign he's healing himself and doesn't need them

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 24-Jun-11 23:01:05

Thank you, Oricella. Yes, he doesn't have a high temp anymore and seemed a lot more perky by the time he went to bed. More colour in his cheeks too so fingers crossed his immune system will do the trick on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now